Zippi testimonials?

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
Was looking for a good summer, back-of-the-truck kind board that I could just leave in my Explorer for pre/post-work sessions in shitty LA windslop, and came across this little number today, along with the Lokbox keels. Digging the spacey nose band spray w/pinlines, and while it's got some seriously ugly ding repairs that I'm going to clean up, it feels like it'll do the job.

While it's a tank at roughly 6'0" x 21.75 x 2.75 (and I'm 5'9" + 175 lbs., I know this is way too much foam but it's just for crusing), it's my first Zippi and I'm curious what to expect from it - the little tail channel is a trip! I hate that I've been in the South Bay for most of my life and this is my first go at one of Mike's boards, but it's definitely a whole different animal compared to my 5'8" Christenson twin keel fish.

Curious to hear your comments!

IMG_2334.JPG

Last edited:

Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
no personal experience but i was very interested some years back...seem to be a good number of happy riders

Fishface

Oct 4, 2012
Del Mar,CA
thats wayyyyy too big for you. its gonna be a cork. im 200 and ride a 5'9. you prob need a 5'7 or 5'6. i think its one of the best keel fishes. the CC keel is ranked up there w it in my book.

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
thats wayyyyy too big for you. its gonna be a cork. im 200 and ride a 5'9. you prob need a 5'7 or 5'6. i think its one of the best keel fishes. the CC keel is ranked up there w it in my book.

Oh for sure, I know it's way too big - I can see myself unloading it at the end of summer (or sooner) as it's a board I don't mind knocking about and keeping in the truck. My CC is the scalpel and this is more of the rusty butter knife.

I've got a magic '80s Midget Smith twin swallow tail triple stringer (6'8" x 3" x 21.5"), so was kind of looking for similar float in a friendlier, less sentimentally valuable package.

JTS

Mar 24, 2005
IMG_0847fx.jpg
I have a Zippi Fish, probably considered too big at 6'2 but I am 59 & 200 lbs, I really like it, one of my favorite fish - i've have had it at least 7-8 years, one of those boards I won't get rid of. I do remember Mike was really great to deal with and finished that board super fast, it was 17 days from telling what I wanted to picking it up at the airport (shipped across country) Ill see if I can find a pic or 2
Jim

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
View attachment 6926 I have a Zippi Fish, probably considered too big at 6'2 but I am 59 & 200 lbs, I really like it, one of my favorite fish - i've have had it at least 7-8 years, one of those boards I won't get rid of. I do remember Mike was really great to deal with and finished that board super fast, it was 17 days from telling what I wanted to picking it up at the airport (shipped across country) Ill see if I can find a pic or 2
Jim

Whoa, that turnaround is mental! I'm getting it out in the water this afternoon for the first time and if it's not clicking, then it's off to a good home and fellow Jammer. I can't stand keeping a board around that I don't gel with.