Your life outside of surfing

surflax

Mar 11, 2007
USA Pennsylvania
56yo PE teacher/coach just outside of Philly- grew up on the mid south shore Long Island, New York - worked as a lifeguard there for 13 summers college thru my first few as a teacher - lived in PB for a year off from school and got to surf local SD/Mex late 80's(wish I knew of the rich SD history when I was there - still have a Mitsven egg and a Seebold thruster from those days- now 2 kids both in college one in LA one in NYC - been a few lean years lately in terms of number of sessions as summers have been devoted to coaching pro lacrosse - still check it daily but sessions have been few/far between - started skating again 5 years ago after I discovered carver trucks and it has saved me - carving my local little bowls keeps me going along with the hope that the stars will align for me to get wet the next time there's a little bump...

thirdwave

Mar 17, 2021
Los Angeles
31 y/o nurse living in LA working in long beach. I started surfing 8 years ago only maybe once a month in washington state but am blessed to be able to go out 2-3 times a week now in southern california. I have a fun little crew and my regular spots are all only 30-45 minutes away. Working three flexibly scheduled 12 hour days means i can’t surf on workdays but get plenty of water time and don’t have to deal with weekend crowds too often. Pandemic aside, I really. can’t complain about my work/life balance or lifestyle! It’s fun to hear about everyone else too!

aporta

Nov 15, 2019
Brooklyn
What a great thread. Can’t put a face to a screen name, but can assemble some idea of a person with these jobs and lifestyle choices.

I’m late 30s married fire fighter here in NYC. No kids yet. Schedule is very flexible and I’m 40 minutes from a wave, though not necessarily a great one 90% of the time. Being goofy helps in the land of lefts. Surf what you got, when you can. I’m fortunate to have family up in New England and get to experience some great hospitality with other jammers up there. And jersey is an easy hop, skip, and jump away.

I’m fortunate to have an understanding wife, and have alway had the mentality you work hard so can play hard. That’s being said, morning sessions are the time for me.

Anyone who visits NY, let’s hang. Always got pot of hot coffee going.

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
66, married, no children. Worked through college as a Mechanic (one Winter's day had a 65 year old mechanic co-worker say to me as we were working on a customer's car with icy road salt dripping on us "Go back to school. You could be 65 laying on your back, working on someone elses car. or 65 laying on a beach in Bermuda.") and became a Dentist. I work 12 hour days but office is 2 miles from home so I have lunch and dinner hours with my recently retired and very tolerant wife, our 2 mixed breed rescues and 18 year old Rat Terrier. First surf was Summer of 1968 on a neighbor's Gary Propper model Hobie and I was hooked. I practice Dentistry with my one year younger brother who thankfully doesn't surf. Dad was a teacher, fixed everything himself and instilled self reliance. I work 8-8 Wednesday, 8-8 Thursday, 8-5 Friday, on call Sat, Sun, then 8-8 Monday, 8-8 Tuesday, and the next day is optional (work another 8-whenever, or we drive to North Carolina). When I'm out my brother takes over. I try to balance my professional life by enjoying each next week in NC. surfing and working on hot rods. I still weld (mig, arc, gas, tig) and build performance engines for friends. I have a few muscle cars and some ridiculous street rods that I enjoy driving and building. I was very lucky after renting homes for the previous 10 years, to find a beat up home in 1993, 4 houses off the water in Kill Devil Hills. N.C. is an 8+hour drive from my home in N.Y. and I had built a NASCAR version of a Chevy Caprice Wagon (kudos to "Roadmaster") that regularly pared hours off of this commute. Got rid of it when I figured I'd lose my license if I kept it, but at least boards inside wouldn't blow off the roof. I have a friend formerly of NY, "Big Ed" who was standing in waist deep water in the impact zone as I was in slotted in a tubing left. As I passed him and just before the lip hit him in the head, he said "I wish I was you!". I'd like to be one of two of the following people: at Diamond Head there was an elderly Japanese fellow who would drag his longboard to the break and slowly paddle out. When he reached the line up he'd take his time and eventually paddle for a wave, surfers on either side of him would stop paddling and if he caught it, they'd cheer. If he missed it, no one said a word. I havent seen him there in quite a few years but I'm thankful to have seen his example. The other is no longer with us. Bob Holland of Va.Beach and OBX. I had East Coast surf brochures from 1966 that listed him as a competitor. While surfing with him when he was 84 in Kitty Hawk N.C. I told him I'd like to be surfing for a while longer. He asked "how long do you want to surf?" I replied, "One day longer than you!" Bob passed at 86.

Last edited:

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
Truck crane rental crane operator got in out high school worked my way onto the large cranes by 21 now operating one.36 years old now. Long hours lots of weird hours but always somewhere new. And being in the position I am being one of the few guys that will can want to run this size crane I have a bit more control of my choices….. though when they need you they need you. That’s how I afford my boards. But 3200 hour years and 6-7 days a week is common. Never been out of work never been off for more than 3 weeks in 16 years that wasn’t by my choice. Can’t wait till 60 years old! Also uncle sams best friend with all my OT and 65-80 hour weeks. I surf on my days off luckily alot of times i work weekends and have a week day off so crowds are not there. try to get out 4 times a month sometimes more than others sometimes less. Starting a 7-12s job 6p-6a for 55 days straight in 2 weeks. I always choose nights thinking ill surf when i get off but then at 6a im so tired i go to bed ha ha

C22D422B-BCE0-43C4-96AE-4F08ED1BD9C6.jpeg 5413F2ED-4235-4953-9333-5A1D6D0717D7.jpeg DF70F12D-D3C3-4CEE-92EF-B39A172F60C8.jpeg F713B7A3-E5E1-4159-99D0-857D6DEF289B.jpeg 81AA4869-7A16-482D-B2C5-28547F5EC971.jpeg 06CAC6F9-F564-49EB-8D3A-9FCC5E8A6691.jpeg

Last edited:

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
Truck crane rental crane operator got in out high school worked my way onto the large cranes by 21 now operating one.36 years old now. Long hours lots of weird hours but always somewhere new. And being in the position I am being one of the few guys that will can want to run this size crane I have a bit more control of my choices….. though when they need you they need you. That’s how I afford my boards. But 3200 hour years and 6-7 days a week is common. Never been out of work never been off for more than 3 weeks in 16 years that wasn’t by my choice. Can’t wait till 60 years old! Also uncle sams best friend with all my OT and 65-80 hour weeks. I surf on my days off luckily alot of times i work weekends and have a week day off so crowds are not there. try to get out 4 times a month sometimes more than others sometimes less. Starting a 7-12s job 6p-6a for 55 days straight in 2 weeks. I always choose nights thinking ill surf when i get off but then at 6a im so tired i go to bed ha ha

View attachment 38770 View attachment 38771 View attachment 38772 View attachment 38773 View attachment 38774 View attachment 38775
They use those style of cranes for production rigging in Japan when i work there. Where as here we use multiple smaller boom style crane lifts and move them all over the arena floors.

in japan they park it in the center of the arena and can reach almost every rig point in the arena.

Funny story was first time i worked over there, there was sort of a translation / communication fail and i was bent all out of shape about how there were not enough lifts to complete the job in time and then being told we could not keep the lift on site which i thought was nuts.

Well when i showed up and saw a crane truck about the size of half a city block it made sense.

No point anyone mentioned the size and type... because i did not ask :)

Japan is funny like that

Cool job lots of skill needed for that

northseacruiser

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
I work at a local waterboard as a teammanager. Don’t earn the biggest money but it’s enough and i got a lot of free time. It’s also easy to take a few hours off which is good since waves in holland can last for just a few hours. A lot off free time makes it also easier to take several holidays a year and go to places where the waves are better then at home.

thekookden

Dec 11, 2021
Japan
I am forty-three, I work in a school too. I get to surf an hour or more before work depending on the season but not winter. To dark in the morning. Which works out, the wind picks-up, the swell drops and it’s cold. I do other things like fishing, snowboarding, skateboarding and the occasional surf on the weekend or Christmas holiday in the winter.
I live about as close to the beach as you can. There’s just bush and cliffs between. I’m a lucky guy.

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
34 year old, married with two young kids. Campground/Surf School owner in Ucluelet, BC Canada.(right next to Tofino) I’ve been doing it for 10+ years. My wife and I bought the campground using an inheritance we were fortunate enough to get when we were 23. We are seasonally open, Easter- Halloween and we do a years worth of work in 6 months, plus projects and prep through the winter. We do get a solid 2-3 months off where we don’t have to work much if we don’t want to. I’m 10-15 minutes from 3-5 consistent but marginal beach breaks. If we hire well and things are going according to plan, I can surf 5 days a week. If we don’t, I’m teaching surf lessons all summer and working night shifts after. Normally we hire around 20 seasonal employees and house them all each summer.