Your life outside of surfing

Shadownboxn7

Sep 30, 2020
Northern California
I’m always curious what affords people to surf as much as they would like. What does everyone do for a living?

Me:Mid 30s environmental scientist. I start my workday most days at 6am and finish around 5pm. I rarely get to surf on weekdays. I live in the east Bay Area, so if I want to surf, I need about a 4 hour window. Ocean beach is only about 18 miles from me (30-40 minutes) but not as accessible as I’d like. If I have some down time at work, I’m usually racing to a beach to get out.

I’m dedicated to the ocean on the weekends. My fiancé has a love/hate relationship with this. She likes to quote Barbarian Days;
“When you marry a surfer, you marry surfing”

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
Medical sales for me. I’m lucky to live just a couple minutes from the beach so I can get out before or after work just about any day there are waves. It would be nice to have the flexibility to surf in the middle of the day when it’s good but I’m pretty happy with my surf/life/work balance so I can’t complain.

I used to live 2 hours from the ocean, but made the move to where I’m at about 10 years ago with my wife. Best decision we have ever made!

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
Retired since 2014. Live 4 miles from the ocean, that’s a little more than 10 minutes to five decent local breaks. I had some flexibility during the last 22 years on the road as an automotive consultant/trainer. There were periods of time though when I covered as much as 2/3 of the US. For several years in airplanes & hotels Mon - Friday. Worth it in the end, meeting and working with so many people and analyzing many different business situations.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
46 years old, 2 small kids, and i live in east Oceanside, Ca. about 6 miles from beach which is about 17 minutes travel from front door to parking lot.

I work in large corporate event production. Well, prior to COVID i did large events with tens of thousands of attendees. Now most events are scaled way back and have a Broadcast / Webcast element. So I have pivoted in the Broadcast direction to stay employed. Its been tricky to keep working

I am lucky because my hours are erratic due to working remotely with teams in time zones all over the planet. So its a lot of 2 hours on and 2 hours off throughout the day.

I probably surf on average 4 days a week. Usually in the 9:00a-11:00a window as the kids are at school, morning meetings are done and afternoon work has not yet started.

Prior to corporate events i was a rock and roll sound guy for like 15 years or so. Lived in a lot of places and traveled to a lot of places.

I have been lucky

I hope the world gets back to a pre COVID thing... though who knows.

Shadownboxn7

Sep 30, 2020
Northern California
Is it worth it to you all? And I mean from both sides of the spectrum.

I don’t have to worry about money (though, I’m not loaded and I live simply). Never have to really worry about finances or bills.

Though I wonder. Am I supposed to wait another 30 years until my body is old and broken until I get to actually enjoy using it in retirement?

I like my job alright. It’s hard work and not glamorous but I protect our lands and our oceans in the grand scheme of things so it’s gratifying. But man do I have a serious case of FOMO when I’m at work and I see you assholes surfing in the middle of the day on a Wednesday :p

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
70 years old, worked for the government for almost 40 years, the last 25 of that in a juvenile justice facility. Fortunately for me, I lived a half block from the beach for almost 50 years, so I was able to get a lot of surfing under my belt during that time. Arthritis in my shoulder and a bad knee have got the best of me as of late, but I still like to get out there during the warmer months. Although I have had a variety of small jobs after retirement, I would never want to work in the surf industry at all. I watched all the grief that some of my friends in the surfboard business went through and I said to myself, "No way, not for me"

Last edited:

paipodude

Oct 27, 2019
Maryland, or By-the-Sea
This topic has probably been discussed in different ways in the not too distant past, but it usually involves a group of tradeoffs: financial, job benefits (including medical and retirement), family, career/job satisfaction, surf accessibility and quality and a host of other things. Although I lived in inland-Maryland, my work took me Virginia Beach, Florida locations, Texas Gulf Coast, Newport RI, San Diego, Ventura-area, Seattle (meaning N. Oregon surfing) and Hawaii. My wife and I vacationed nearly every year in Puerto Rico (where I lived 9 years including the last 3 years of high school on the western side). We also vacationed in many of the places mentioned above. I have also been down to Cape Hatteras nearly every year since 1971. I generally would not recommend a life of poverty to live near the beach. And a person generally spends about half the day at or going to/from work so that is a huge quality factor.

Work hard, save your money, retire as young as possible and enjoy it to the max.