You, Aging And Surfing

Rad Ralph

Oct 10, 2019
Palisades
the drug of their choice.

Be happy for what you have rather than unhappy for what you don't have.

Peace.

... and the Fountain of Youth was born!!! My colleague Michael Torquato Denicola turned me on to that stick.

Going back to “drug of choice” I think so many of us fall into the trap of substance abuse because we’re adrenaline junkies to begin with.

I’m just glad I lived to kick my alcoholism and substance abuse, to make surfing my recovery vehicle. All of these experiences Have helped me be happy with my family and friends (like you guys here on this board.)

I’m also grateful to God to have people like you Bruce, As well as Clyde, and Randy Schaeffer (down in Ventura) to keep the history straight. ;)

After 20 years in the Arizona desert (skating ditches and surfing the tank in Tempe), I’m just grateful to get wet.

From one Arizona cowboy to you California cowboys - keep the stoke alive!

walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
wherever i am
Well guys, here I am in Scrips Encinitas, had a heart attack last night, I knew the hard breathing wasn’t a good sign while surfing last week.
I couldn’t get comfortable last night, my upper back and chest kept throbbing, I had made an appointment for today with my doc, didn’t get to see him
Jesus, sorry to hear that Jim - here's wishing you a speedy & successful recovery!!!!

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
It's good that this was how your blocked coronary artery was discovered, rather than a massive heart attack down the road. Best wishes for a good recovery and renewed enjoyment of the ocean.
Thanks for all the well wishing.
I’m in Scrips Encinitas, getting released tomorrow.
Had 2 constricted arteries, got 3 stents in the 2 arteries, cholesterol was not good, BP good, but the echocardiogram showed no damage to the heart muscle.
The worst part was I couldn’t pee, catheterized me 3 times and finally installed a Foley catheter, that drained 2 liters of urine.
I slept through the night after that.
I had booked a Drs. Appointment for Monday morning, didn’t make it.
I asked the doctor if I could walk over to the factory and finish Sunday’s shape, he was less than amused.
My wife said, no more 7 days a week working

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Had 2 constricted arteries, got 3 stents in the 2 arteries, cholesterol was not good, BP good, but the echocardiogram showed no damage to the heart muscle.

That is good news for sure! With a change in your diet you could probably get that cholesterol way down. Be patient, give it a little time, and you will be "back in the saddle" in no time. You were lucky in that you got a "warning shot" before it got really bad.

jdogger

Apr 4, 2006
USA California
The worst part was I couldn’t pee, catheterized me 3 times and finally installed a Foley catheter, that drained 2 liters of urine.
I asked the doctor if I could walk over to the factory and finish Sunday’s shape, he was less than amused.
When I had surgery for my detached retina, I was able to pee a little in the recovery room but when they sent me home, I wasn't able to pee for 18 hours. Back to the ER the next morning. They drained me (like you, 2 liters) and gave me a catheter with a leg bag. They told me I could take it out the next day. I ended up having to put it in and out myself over the next 5 days. I finally got the flow going but not being able to pee is the absolute worst. Speedy recovery Jim.

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA

Please..take it easy Jim..and be compliant...you'll heal faster..
plus you've "earned" it.
Im glad you doing better...
You don't want to land in the OR..
With a CABG...or worse...

Jul 30, 2020
Haleiwa HI
66 years old and surfing 3-6 days a week....Yoga, Pilates and some gym work seem to be key, along with a quiver of mid lengths and longboards!
That said I was a candidate for hip replacement a few years ago. Decided to to try stem cell therapy instead and it worked.
I know some who have had hip replacement surgery and it worked out fine, however....not all. More then a few horror stories have come
out of people having surgery. My take is anytime you can fine an alternative to surgery it's worth a try. Fixed a shoulder with stem cell therapy too
and plan on using it as a first choice for any needed fixes over the next ....25 years or so?
At my age you are like a classic old car, fix all the little things that pop up and with proper maintenance on a regular basis you'll keep running for years! At least that's the plan.
Get well soon Jim, having surfing as motivation has gotten me through more then one physical rehab.

Last edited:

WhiteRussian

Oct 16, 2007
Boston Harbor

Get well soon Jim.

Your wife is right, work can wait. Cholesterol could be addressed with a diet relatively easy. Good luck !

Dynaglyder

Dec 21, 2011
If you can get into a wetsuit, try a surfmat again. Board surfing may be in your rearview mirror, but mat surfing or boogie boarding could be your ticket back to the stoke.