You, Aging And Surfing

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Veterano, Oct 6, 2020.

1. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Well guys, here I am in Scrips Encinitas, had a heart attack last night, I knew the hard breathing wasn’t a good sign while surfing last week.
    I couldn’t get comfortable last night, my upper back and chest kept throbbing, I had made an appointment for today with my doc, didn’t get to see him

DJR, DKNJ, Chilly Willy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Best wishes for a prompt recovery Jim. There are more Mexican beachbreaks in your future!

3. Tlri

Tlri Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Nooo, feel better, glad you paid enough attention to your body to get yourself to the hospital.

4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    njrider likes this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    Oh boy! I know that feeling. About 5 years ago I was out with a couple of friends body surfing and just couldn't catch my breath. I thought to myself, I might be a little out of shape but I can't be that out of shape. Made an appointment with a cardiologist and they ran some tests. At first they couldn't find anything wrong, but the cardiologist had a hunch and ran an ultrasound. They discovered something called "shadowing" on the ultra sound. That was a dead giveaway that I had a blockage somewhere. I had to have an angiogram and they discovered I had almost a complete blockage in one main artery. They had a stint put in and I could almost feel an instant result. My breathing is was much easier.

The good news is that I still feel really good! These things don't come on all at once, it takes some time for all this stuff to build up and over time you live with it until you start having problems. I had to really change my diet around and cut way back on my drinking. I rarely eat any red meat or greasy food anymore. All that partying and late night activity finally caught up with me. Provided there is no damage to your heart, you should be able to get back to your normal self in no time. The marvel of modern medicine. Good luck and good health.

6. slosurf

slosurf Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Jim. Take care.

strez likes this.
  7. strez

strez Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    X2

8. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    It's good that this was how your blocked coronary artery was discovered, rather than a massive heart attack down the road. Best wishes for a good recovery and renewed enjoyment of the ocean.

9. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    +1

10. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Shit Jimmy, hope you are okay, you're more than just my shaper, you're my good good friend and teacher of radness.

DJR and txgrinder like this.