Yamamoto neoprene wetsuits

Mbaltazar

Mar 17, 2019
Portugal
Hi guys,

I'd like to have your insights on Yamamoto vs "regular" neoprene.

I'm on the fence for pulling the trigger on a 4/3 Feral or Isurus wetsuit.
I've been wearing mainly Rip Curl, O'Neill and Xcel wetsuits for the past years. It's not that I'm unhappy, especially with Rip Curl and Xcel, it's just that with all the hype around Yamamoto neoprene I'd like to give a try.

The issue is that I live in Portugal, so "importing" one of these has an extra cost. It's not that much the tag price but the transport and customs that will add around 150/200 bucks on top.

Question: have you guys any experience with any of these brands or Yamamoto? Is there that much of a "difference" that makes it really worth?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

[email protected]

Dec 18, 2020
North California
Yes, they are warmer, lighter due to the fact they don’t absorb much water, the neoprene doesn’t stretch out as quickly,and it also feels like it molds to your body better. If you get one of those slick skin ones you do have to be pretty careful about it getting knicked on branches, nails, etc. they’re kind of delicate. Also, the slick skin ones have cracked on me after a while, probably from sun exposure.

I definitely recommend Yamamoto!

skazat

Apr 1, 2021
Los Angeles
Ive got an Isurus 2/2 zip free suit and love it. The zip free does allow a little more flushing to occur so stray away from that if it bothers you. I personally dont mind for the most part with the flexibility it adds. But Im not surfing sub 50 degree water. I will say it surprises me how well insulated I feel with the 2/2 especially when I see other people wearing 4/3's next to me. I wont call it "toasty" but in 58 degree water I felt like I was wearing a spring suit in the summer and had all that flexibility.

Ill also add that it dries surprisingly quick. If I wear it in the morning and hang it up to dry when I get home my suit is probably 80-85% dry the following morning.

Budthedog

Dec 22, 2020
California
I have a 4/3 feral and like it a lot. I get cold pretty easily and it keeps me warm. Very soft and comfortable, dries fast. No real complaints. Is it worth another $200 on top of the already big price tag... I dunno.

surfbum00

Dec 9, 2016
UK
Hi guys,

I'd like to have your insights on Yamamoto vs "regular" neoprene.

I'm on the fence for pulling the trigger on a 4/3 Feral or Isurus wetsuit.
I've been wearing mainly Rip Curl, O'Neill and Xcel wetsuits for the past years. It's not that I'm unhappy, especially with Rip Curl and Xcel, it's just that with all the hype around Yamamoto neoprene I'd like to give a try.

The issue is that I live in Portugal, so "importing" one of these has an extra cost. It's not that much the tag price but the transport and customs that will add around 150/200 bucks on top.

Question: have you guys any experience with any of these brands or Yamamoto? Is there that much of a "difference" that makes it really worth?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
surf lounge in France stock Isurus wetsuits

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
I’ve asked everyone in the water with feral and in my case, all said great but not that great. I decide to stick with deals on old season sales.

Nubancho

Nov 16, 2016
Orange County
I have a Nineplus longsleeve spring and love it for spring and brisk summer mornings. It does dry faster and it fits like a glove; less "bunchy" but this could be alleviated by proper fit.

As mentioned above, the slick skin does require a little more care as it can tear easily but the plus side of the slick skin Yamamato is that it repels water keeping you dry. If there's some sun, then it warms up the slick skin getting you nice and toasty.

If they could make a more durable slick skin Yamamato neoprene, I'd be all over that and would definitely consider that worth the extra cost.

ks77

Jan 16, 2007
Culver City, CA
I have a Feral 4/3 for the first time this winter. It is great and definitely better than other Rip Curl, Excel and Need Essential suits. But, is it worth an extra $100-200 or whatever the premium is, I think that is debatable and depends on your budget. For me personally, if it keeps me warm for a second season, I'd probably pay the premium again. If not, I'd probably just but a new Need Essential each year. Just my two cents. Also, it does dry extraordinarily quickly.