Xiphoid Process pain?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by FalseDawn, Dec 1, 2017.

1. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

Interesting. Does the 2in chest elevation off the board affect how "connected" you feel to the deck?

2. balance_fit

balance_fit New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    Hi False Dawn

Your problem with the xiphoid process can be approached in several ways. Padding is the obvious.
    Allow me to look at it from a different perspective.
    Just to play it safe, be sure that there's no chronic swelling in the area and/or diagnosed breathing restriction.

If there's difficulty with thoracic extension, (lifting the chest off the board), which can exist due to previous injury in the area, when lying face down, your chest presses on the board, back muscles can't cope and lift the rib cage up, and the xiphoid gets irritated.
    A simple spirometry, or a vital capacity breathing test could rule out rib movement/breathing impairment.
    Keep us posted!
    Regards
    JD

3. Mizrachi

Mizrachi Active Member

May 16, 2013
  4. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Because it doesn’t slide around I feel pretty connected. I’ve been using one for the last 7 or 8 years so I’ve probably forgotten what it feels like to surf without. I do remember ribcage and sternum (and xyphoid process - mine actually sticks out a bit) pain after surfing for any extended period before I started using the Chest Wedge.

I find I can surf longer plus it has some floatation which helps if you’re taking a hold-down beating.

5. gene

gene Member

Oct 1, 2004
    I have experience with this. If you're one of us that has a longer xiphoid it'll come in contact with the board and it will get irritated over time. The more its irritated the worse it gets. Has nothing to do with your back muscles and it won't cause difficult breathing or death.
    I had surgery 15 years ago to remove a surf knot on my xiphoid from years of contact with my board. Only removed the knot and didn't alter the xiphoid so the original issue was still there. After surgery it was painful and was still going to be a problem so I made a vest with two extra neoprene squares on both sides of the xiphoid and it worked great. Used it until it wore out and then I had Jonesee make me a new vest. He designed it with just an extra layer of very soft neoprene in the area, it works great. You can get one from him, he knows what to do. I always wear the vest whether I where a regular wetsuit or not. It doesn't show and it's not awkward in any way.
    I recommend giving Jonesee a call.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  6. gene

gene Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Didn't see this earlier. Looks like it would work great.

7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005

Plus it gives you that cool 20-pack abs look!

Have you looked at the Paddle Air, I've heard good reports but mostly to relieve neck or back issues?

8. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

I actually tried the large cell bubble wrap idea this a.m.. We had some in the office for some reason. Worked pretty well for 3hrs I was out. Nice not to feel that nagging pain.

I haven't yet but I think I'll invest in one of the vests in the future though. I'll report back when I do. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Merry Christmas!!

9. malibu_lizard

malibu_lizard New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Ireland