WTB: FM + Haley Pin / Thick Lizzy

listentoalienworkshop

Nov 21, 2020
Los Angeles
That 7'4 is still available in Newport Beach, as is that more expensive new yellow/orange one in LA. It's wild how few have been up lately.

I haven't been on a bowls but my understanding is a pin/lizzie is way more versatile

All of the advertising and what you're seeing on here review-wise is totally spot on. The Lizzy is a very fun and easy-ish to surf board that turns and projects really well in varied conditions. Still, if I had a choice on any given day, I'd generally want the evolution board over it (assuming the waves are good enough). They do just feel better. I have @BrazilButtNut 's Klaus evo pin now and it covers less than great waves better than the vbowls for sure. That said, I do kinda regret not keeping a 7'10 vbowls, just couldn't use it enough at the time to warrant having it here. It's a crazy fun feeling board when the occasion calls for it.

I just got a 7'6 FM, so after I run it through its paces I wonder if I'd still want a short-ish or long vbowls again. FM seems to be a good wave only board as well, we'll see.

But I digress...The 7'10 Lizzy has been just as versatile as people say and this size covers a good range of waves I'm seeing. It definitely rips shorter than it is especially with these bonzer bites, and I've started taking some waves backside on it and I feel like it handles them really well.

Last edited:

Adammusic321

Jul 29, 2022
New York
Is there a difference between the Haley pin and thick Lizzy?? Just curious there is a Haley pin on cl for 650 super nice but east coast I think you’re west?

HMRKS

Jan 19, 2021
SouthBay
I'll offer a countering viewpoint- had 3 vbowls between 7'0 to 7'10 and an 8'0ish Haley pin with the bonzer sidebites. Surfed the HP in waist to HH kiiiinda punchy beachbreak for a week... hated it. Never wanted to tip over the face on steeper drops and didn't seem to want to roll onto softer shoulders with an early paddle. While up, the board just felt sluggish across the entire spectrum. It really left me scratching my head, but I've talked to a few jammers who have had similar sentiments... was a fairly recent iteration too.

My vbowls on the other hand did what was expected of them, albeit with a touch narrower range of waves they liked...

Ultimately, I would skew towards the shorter end of either board. The longer versions surf stiffer than you might want. Just my 2 cents.

listentoalienworkshop

Nov 21, 2020
Los Angeles
I remember you telling me this and I do totally agree -it can't sneak into softer shoulders which really pissed me off initially and I complained about it on here. I also mostly hated surfing it in South Bay the few times I did... re: tip over the face on steeper drops, check. Assume this is where you took it out? I didn't have fun on punchy days here at all and this is why I gave up on my first go of the haley. The vbowls rocker and shape did do both things better there and I did have some good days on it with yours, so I'm aligned. But where I diverge is when I took the Lizzy to Malibu points - albeit better waves for sure - and beach breaks in Northern OC, it opened up and I could figure out what it could and couldn't do well. It's def not made for all waves and you're a way better surfer than I, so this is all "grain of salt." I def had you in my brain as I was trying to figure this one out and I finally enjoy it and know when to take it out. Different strokes I guess. I still should have kept your vbowls :(
I'll offer a countering viewpoint- had 3 vbowls between 7'0 to 7'10 and an 8'0ish Haley pin with the bonzer sidebites. Surfed the HP in waist to HH kiiiinda punchy beachbreak for a week... hated it. Never wanted to tip over the face on steeper drops and didn't seem to want to roll onto softer shoulders with an early paddle. While up, the board just felt sluggish across the entire spectrum. It really left me scratching my head, but I've talked to a few jammers who have had similar sentiments... was a fairly recent iteration too.

My vbowls on the other hand did what was expected of them, albeit with a touch narrower range of waves they liked...

Ultimately, I would skew towards the shorter end of either board. The longer versions surf stiffer than you might want. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

HMRKS

Jan 19, 2021
SouthBay
I remember you telling me this and I do totally agree -it can't sneak into softer shoulders which really pissed me off initially and I complained about it on here. I also mostly hated surfing it in South Bay the few times I did... re: tip over the face on steeper drops, check. Assume this is where you took it out? I didn't have fun on punchy days here at all and this is why I gave up on my first go of the haley. The vbowls rocker and shape did do both things better there and I did have some good days on it with yours, so I'm aligned. But where I diverge is when I took the Lizzy to Malibu points - albeit better waves for sure - and beach breaks in Northern OC, it opened up and I could figure out what it could and couldn't do well. It's def not made for all waves and you're a way better surfer than I, so this is all "grain of salt." I def had you in my brain as I was trying to figure this one out and I finally enjoy it and know when to take it out. Different strokes I guess. I still should have kept your vbowls :(

I dunno, I took it out in a range of wave moods at porto; soft, fast, rolly, rolly then fast. Double ups, low tide peelers... it just didn't seem to like any of those conditions where even my hulls can find a slot. Don't think it's a difference in ability, and I would usually write it off on being a bunk outlier board if not for the other corroborations I've had on here. Design wise the chine seemed to carry the volume too far forward on the one I had. It felt like a 9'0 crammed into an 8'0 package. If I had to do it again, I would aim for a shorter board, I think the design/proportions would make more sense in a 7-7'4 or so.

Perhaps the vbowl will make its way back to you! Unique rides usually have a way of doing so..