WTB - Deets UDT fins

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Shorter blade, I've never used them so have no first hand info. Bodyboarders often kneel or stand hence the shorter blade. I only know one bodyboarder that uses UDT, but he is a drive to the pocket stay prone guy. Only one session on the new UDT, jury still out. Takes a longer/slower kick, the flutter (and acceleration) that I normally use with Ducks won't happen, at least with my legs, as the larger blades equal a big difference in water resistance/movement. I know a lot of body surfers and mat riders that love their UDTs. I also know a lot of body surfers that use much small fins like DaFin because they have less resistance and faster acceleration.

paipodude

Oct 27, 2019
Maryland, or By-the-Sea
My fantasy is to see fin descriptions that have more detail... like a surfboard sort of... length, 3 or 4 width measurements, blade length, foot pocket width, better blade stiff/flex description and weight. And floatiness (not meant to get into a volume displacement discussion!). I add weight as for somebody who does surf travel it is an important parameter. For example, two pairs of DaFins weigh about the same as one pair of V5 Vipers. Those pounds add up!!! Credit Vipers for descriing there two basic models by length, V5 and V7, numbers representing blade lengths.

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
My fantasy is to see fin descriptions that have more detail... like a surfboard sort of... length, 3 or 4 width measurements, blade length, foot pocket width, better blade stiff/flex description and weight. And floatiness (not meant to get into a volume displacement discussion!). I add weight as for somebody who does surf travel it is an important parameter. For example, two pairs of DaFins weigh about the same as one pair of V5 Vipers. Those pounds add up!!! Credit Vipers for descriing there two basic models by length, V5 and V7, numbers representing blade lengths.
Funny, I was having a associated discussion with a mat riding buddy yesterday about how as the sport has become more popular there are now informal "rules" about mat size and design in a pursuit that still retains its small following and non-conformist style. Fin specifications don't exist, which may work to the advantage of the industry as many of us have a variety of fin types/manufacturer. There is also the facts that compositions sometimes vary from one production run to another, the UDTs being a classic case.

"Floatiness" - had a discussion with a guy that complained that a fin weight was too much. My point was that both the heavy fin and the lighter fin float, so in the water weight isn't a determining factor. He disagreed. Ha!

paipodude

Oct 27, 2019
Maryland, or By-the-Sea
Funny, I was having a associated discussion with a mat riding buddy yesterday about how as the sport has become more popular there are now informal "rules" about mat size and design in a pursuit that still retains its small following and non-conformist style. Fin specifications don't exist, which may work to the advantage of the industry as many of us have a variety of fin types/manufacturer. There is also the facts that compositions sometimes vary from one production run to another, the UDTs being a classic case.

"Floatiness" - had a discussion with a guy that complained that a fin weight was too much. My point was that both the heavy fin and the lighter fin float, so in the water weight isn't a determining factor. He disagreed. Ha!
Weight is a practical travel matter for me as I usually need to take two pairs of swim fins with me as suitable replacements just may not be available. So, on weight here is an example:
1 pair of Viper Orange Dot 5" blade, 3.4 lbs; 2 pair = 6.8 lbs
1 pair of DaFins, 1.6 lbs; 2 pair = 3.2 lbs.
Basically, 3 lbs vs. 7 lbs in rough rounding terms.
Add in weight for two weeks of saline and disinfectant solutions for contact lenses and a couple of tubes of SPF, and it all adds of quickly. Add wax! I am incentivized to use the light weight honeycomb fins but they chew up so easily from the reefs and reef rock compared to fiberglass skegs. So saving weight on swim fins is a factor. Happy that the DaFins ended up being a better option than Vipers for me, especially in cold water when fin sox mm add more foot pain in a Viper.

tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
San Francisco
I love my Da Fins because they're light for travel (once that starts up again, sigh) and for me the most comfortable. I always wear fin socks for the same reason, even in warm water (whenever that happens again, more sigh). Also appreciate the light weight when riding my mat; a lot of the time I'm holding one or both fins out of the water.

This applies to mat surfing... the big reason people seem to want maximum thrust is for catching the wave. Said it before and I guess I'm saying it again- learning to use one arm to help swim into the wave was a complete game changer.

Seriously, that quest for thrust became a non issue. FWIW.

paipodude

Oct 27, 2019
Maryland, or By-the-Sea
I always wear fin socks as well with thickness according to water temps. The lycra-style socks used to provide enough protection, but better to be safe. Usually the ankle high is the choice rather than the foot/strap versions. DaFins are very flexible in that respect with their slightly wider and soft pockets compared to Vipers and many other swim fins. I can use my 1mm up through 5mm with the same sized fins.

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Never wear fin socks with my DaFins, the soft foot pocket is comfy for me. Vipers, boxes on your feet IMHO. Ducks - sanding, cutting and roto-tooling to make them work. Personal preference based on each persons feet.