worth the wait..

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Oh boy! A Wardy, those sure bring back some teenage memories. Never owned one, but I sure rode a bunch of them. They never reached the status of a Hobie, Bing or Weber, but they sure were popular and there were a lot of them around for a while.
Yea, pretty much a clone of my first custom order at 13, after a hell of a lot of neighborhood lawn cutting, from Al Giddings at the Bamboo Reef Dive Shop in San Francisco.
Greg Noll told me during a board discussion that he considered Wardy to be the best shaper he knew back in the day..Fred left the surfboard scene and relocated to New York where he pursued his art career as a sculptor and painter, opened up the first co-op art gallery in NY, and surfed the local areas when still younger. Frankly amazed that Surfers Journal has not done a piece on him, one of a kind OG.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
Yea, pretty much a clone of my first custom order at 13, after a hell of a lot of neighborhood lawn cutting, from Al Giddings at the Bamboo Reef Dive Shop in San Francisco.
Greg Noll told me during a board discussion that he considered Wardy to be the best shaper he knew back in the day..Fred left the surfboard scene and relocated to New York where he pursued his art career as a sculptor and painter, opened up the first co-op art gallery in NY, and surfed the local areas when still younger. Frankly amazed that Surfers Journal has not done a piece on him, one of a kind OG.
Yes, I heard that as well! I think that if he had lasted until the transition era, there would have been a lot more attention given to him. There was a Wardy shop on PCH in the Pacific Palisades area between Santa Monica and Malibu. We would stop in there on trips going down south. At that time in my life, I was brain dead on anything besides Jacobs and Weber surfboards and wouldn't consider anything else. I don't remember many Wardy surfboards past mid 1966.

Another guy who didn't get much attention was Robert Milner of the Robert's surfshop in Playa Del Rey. There were some fantastic boards coming out of that shop up and through the transition era.

Last edited: