worst board

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Jun 12, 2016.

1. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    somewhat related... possibly. have any of you guys/gals/miscreants had a board that you felt like you were struggling to connect with, said fck it and sold it, only to have your surfn buddies tell you that it looked like you surfed that board better than many of your others? that has happened to me twice.

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    pilau wrote:
    Crazy! Was it the same person that said it to you , or was it from different people? I have not had that happen. With my ego, it's probably the opposite.

3. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Several people told me about one board (a 2+1 christenson pintail noserider).

A different guy told me that about a bing dharma

4. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
  5. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    yeah... the christenson one still messes with my head a little. i probably gave up on that one way to soon. surfed it maybe 5 times. guy offered me considerably more than i paid for it, so i let it go. oh well. surfboards.

6. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    SMUKES wrote:
    Yup! I rock that poo/stinkbug stance all the time...and I feel like I'm shredding...but am probably not
    my first custom stamps I got, i totally hated it, three surfs and it was a goner, but now I've gotten three more boards from him that I love...it's all about the love not the science

7. RB

RB New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Early 1990's I got a new board from the Shaper I had been riding boards from for many a year. Had plenty of offers to move on to someone else, but his equipment always suited me very well. This one particular board was one I thought I would love from the moment I picked it up in Pearl City, but that was not to be. I rode it for two weeks and just did not click with it. Spent nights with it on the living room floor just looking at it, trying to figure out the problem. Declared it to be my worst board ever. Finally gave up and it went under the house with the rest of the boards that were out of the rotation. My Shaper was really after me for some feedback and I was avoiding the subject. After six months of bobbing and weaving, pulled it from under the house to give it one more try before I gave up on it. To my shock and surprise, it turned out to be one of my favorite all time boards.

8. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    ^Listen to RB's story

9. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    Almost all of my 90's thrusters

10. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Smokey wrote:
    Amen! that period almost did me in. I was in college several hours from the beach and skateboarding all the time. I didn't have a single friend who knew the slightest thing about surfing or the ocean. Surfing was soooo cookie cutter conformist and skating was so vibrant and full of goofy fun loving misfits.