Winter Surfing

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Gansett, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Gansett

Gansett New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Would like to get into winter surfing this year. The latest I have surfed has been into early November with my 3/2. For RI winter surfing in the dead of winter Jan-March what thickness are you guys using? Thinking a 5/4 should be good but not sure. Also what about boots/gloves thinking 5 or 7.

shapewright likes this.
  2. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    You should have lived in the 60’s and 70’s like the hard core Gansett did.
    11PM John Georci weather fore casts at our wetsuit parties, checking every square inch of our 1/4” suits for any leaks.
    Day long sessions with ice hanging from eye brows and mustaches.
    There is some footage by Bill Conor at Monahan’s, Eddie Logee, Mike Risser, Mario Frade, Dennis Tully and myself with horns, tassels, ears glued to our hoods before engaging in winter combat with near Zero temps.

Tlri, michael and Gansett like this.
  3. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    You cannot beat the warmth and durability of the Patagonia R5, their 7mil boots and 5 mil gloves. Like shapewright, back in the day we wore 1/4" wetsuits, made for divers. 2 piece suits, high waist pants and beavertail jacket. My first suit had no lining, needed to powder (cornstarch) the inside to get them on. No stitching just glued together, we were always re-glueing them

GearNut and pintail like this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    we surfed the San Francisco coast year around without wetsuits in the early days until O'Neil blessed us with increasing rubber, starting the first vest...

which is why we had orderly, skill based lineups...shoulder drop a better surfer coming down the line, making them swim through the freezing water, ending their session, consequences could well include a busted lip..a generation raised with 'thou shall never f'n shoulder drop ever' deeply stamped into our consciousness...

those same groms grew up to become the next generation regulators at the locals, calling out shoulder hopping leashed on, never swam a day in their life transgressors who didn't consider a drop-in a big deal..."son, knock that crap off"....

hankster and ekim like this.
  5. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I surf RI through winter. 5/4 hooded (xcel currently) with 7mm boots and 6mm mitts. Parking lot post-surf changes are necessary for me most of the time, so I bring 4 gallons of hot water in an insulated food delivery bag and have a nice thick Dry Robe changing robe.

deemce likes this.
  6. Gansett

Gansett New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Thanks, do you wear your suit while driving in car before hand? Or put on once getting to spot?

7. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    I second what salinity said but a different brand. I’ll wear mine pulled up to my waist for the drive if I’m surfing in the morning.
    More often for me I’m going between work duties.
    In the winter I’ll throw my gear on the passenger floor and crank the foot heater to warm it up before I change in the back seat.
    Undressing sucks and trying to get back into work clothes in the beach parking lot is even worse but it’s worth it for those empty peeling waves.

4 empty milk jugs of HOT water kept in a cooler is key for rinse off of yourself and gear.

Gansett likes this.
  8. Gansett

Gansett New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Rhode Island
    My buddy gave me a 5/4/3 but thinking it will be too tight, it's XL but my 3/2 is XXL and is pretty snug. Will try it on this weekend and see how it fits.

9. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Definitely put it on (to the waist) before - if it's real cold, I'll put the rest on in the car (including the booties).

10. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    When trying on the new wetsuit try to be as dry as possible. Not fresh out of the shower or clammy. Helps to have a fan on high blowing on you.