Winter suits..... anticipation

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
I got a good deal on an O'neil Somethingfreak (Hyper, I think) 5.5/4 a couple of years back and besides the fact that O'neils have always always fit me well, this thing is really stretchy, comfortable, and warm. Plus, now in its third season, I can't find a thing to complain about in terms of durability. Combine that with a Thermolution rash guard, and I'm good to go in anything I'll care to surf in over here (air about freezing, water in the mid to high forties).

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Hyperflex Vyrl series for the win.
The straight all 4mil hooded wetsuit is a champion. The 5/4 is killer as well.
Get Both for under what you would pay for top tier Oneill, Xcel.**

**Edit- Get Both for under what you would pay for ONE top tier Oneill, Xcel.
Just got word that my long awaited 3/2 VYRL will be in stock on the 22nd! They sell everything they can build with the growth of the surf #s. Just in time for the next water temp drop, the spring suit has been marginal a few days already.

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Just got word that my long awaited 3/2 VYRL will be in stock on the 22nd! They sell everything they can build with the growth of the surf #s. Just in time for the next water temp drop, the spring suit has been marginal a few days already.

Nice. Interested in hearing about the 3/2.
I remember my initial shock/being bummed when I first lifted my 5/4 out of the box. Felt super lightweight and flimsy, but gave a shrug and thought- "Dude, what did you expect for $200?"
Threw it on- easily - and went out at 1st light - 20 degree air, 45 water. And surfed for 2 hours. Easy. My feet in my 7mil Oneill heats went first.
Been stoked ever since, but the True piece of gold is my solid 4mil Vyrl. All 4mil so no panels, just one thickness. Same smooth rubber, and I am as warm in that if not warmer than my 5/4.
Tied for Favorite suit I have ever owned with my 2nd gen Oneill Mutant 4/3- the Belle of the Fall Ball in New England for 4 straight seasons.
Fuckin Score both of 'em.

WARNING! - Anyone looking at these Vyrl's be careful because there is also a 5/4/3 which I will never understand. The sleeves from shoulder to wrist are 3mil. F that all day long. Guy here has one and is BUMMED on it. Even on okay days that 3 mil just wrecks it for him.
Get a solid 4 and/or a 5/4.
Stoked!

Mizrachi

May 16, 2013
NY
thumbs up for the Xcel Comp X series...much more flexible than the Drylock, same interior plush, less expensive... have both a 5.5/4.5 and 4.5/3.5....only negative is not having a hood brim to block sun glare while paddling

made the switch from drylock to comp x last winter and find it warmer, more flexible and easier to get on/off.