Winter suits..... anticipation

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
I feel your pain, @michael. Last Sunday's howling, frigid wind was awful. The changing poncho is 100% the way to go, although I was getting some frosty gusts straight up the middle last week. Car direction is also a great suggestion. Bonus if you can park the car strategically to block the wind AND position you to be in the warm sun while changing.
Another option is to only surf June,July and Aug. :cool:

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Coming into 5mm season in SW UK now (depending on the person)

I picked up a suit by the Aussie brand Adelio last year and used it for the last half of the winter. Its very warm, pretty flexy and not too heavy... Think of a cross up between a Patagonia and an Xcel Infiniti and that sums it up in many ways.

If you guys spot one at a good price stateside, then I would recommend it. Mine is the 'Connor' 543 hooded version.

aussie-surfer

Jun 28, 2007
USA Wisconsin
bought a Billabong Furnace Ultra 5/4 Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit from Cleanline.com during their sale. Suit has that new graphene lining. I have never worn a Billabong suit and according to their size chart I ordered a medium short, generally I fit a medium in other brands, so hope it fits. Should be here Tuesday.

Have had a 5/4 for a couple of seasons and just switched to a 6/5 Bong carbon furnace ultra. Have had to wear it already here on the Lakes and is simply the most warm, flexible, sealed suit I have ever worn. Very light for the thickness and easy to get in and out of. Being in freshwater, I replace my 6mm every two years and this suit is well worth looking out. Have spent the past several seasons running xcel suits.

https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/PROD/MWFUVBH6.html#.XeO_UaRMGEc

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aussie-surfer

Jun 28, 2007
USA Wisconsin
Billabong’s suit is insanely good. Road test today in 12f/-10c air, water freezingish, 15-18mph Offshore. Was out for an hour and half before getting out for parent/teach conference. Insanely warm the whole time!
C855ABB1-C35D-4A78-9176-0BAE6A221B9F.jpeg

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Billabong’s suit is insanely good. Road test today in 12f/-10c air, water freezingish, 15-18mph Offshore. Was out for an hour and half before getting out for parent/teach conference. Insanely warm the whole time! View attachment 17348

Nice! Is that the Furnace Carbon Ultra, or whatever? The higher end suit really does make a difference over their cheaper models. I'll never forget: I was paddling out alongside a buddy -- both of us had brand new Billabong suits on that we had gotten during a blowout sale. Mine was the top shelf Furnace Carbon, and his was the lower tier Furnace Absolute. Same thicknesses. We had both had a few waves and were paddling back out side by side. He said, "I'm cold." I said, "I'm warm." That's enough of a test for me to know that it's worth the extra bucks for the better suit.