Winter suits..... anticipation

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Jul 31, 2019.

1. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    That’s what I’m talking about. It’s a battle before and after each session. And I don’t always win.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    the more sealed the seams are, the less stretch they will have. The liquid rubber seams such as Xcel Drylock like straitjackets.

Fan of the Xcel Comp X series, excellent mid price wetsuit with a lotta stretch, very warm, very comfortable. Much easier to put on then other chest zip's I've had. Also like how they 'rubber' them...depending on temps, run either a 4.5/3.5 or 5.5/4.5 unless summertime and in a 3/2..

Look around, can often find them for under $300.

michael likes this.
  3. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Ummm, , , , ahhhhh, , , , I know that it is perhaps wrong of me to speak up about all this, being that I have not been in the water at all lately but, , , , ,

The last time I put any rubber on was while on a business trip to Southern California, , , , , in 2011!!

Otherwise, I gave all my rubber away back in 2012. I'm over being cold out in the surf, , , ,!

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  4. ironmace7

ironmace7 Member

May 28, 2005
    Manasquan
    Bought 5mm lobster claws and 7 mm drylock boots today. Ridiculous sales this time of year. I always wear a l/s rashguard and shorts. Suit peels right off even if it’s below 20 degrees. Every season has advantages. I love them all

5. Walnuts

Walnuts Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Long Beach, NY
    I used to wear the Xcel drylocks and recently gave the Vissla entry level 5/4 a try and I LOVE it. Two seasons in it. Really stretchy and economical in my opinion. Would recommend. And for reference I surf New York dead of winter, so it gets real cold.

6. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I use the Isurus 4/3 in the winter here, but it doesn't get as cold as on the EC. It's absurdly warm and comfortable, but it is a bitch to get into and out of. One other option to consider is using a warmer rash guard. I use an O'Neill Thermo-X 13 oz. short sleeve rash guard, and it makes it possible for me to use a stage thinner wetsuit for every season.

Dawnpatrol and sightpoint like this.
  7. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Xcel comp for the win!

8. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I don't surf in your water so don't ever get into anything heavier than 3/2 ( apparently I seem to have a better cold tolerance than others?), but I learned something many years ago and have a question. Who of you in the great white north has tried polypro inside their suits? My experience is that 1) I can wear a lighter suit than others in the water, 2) keeps flushing under control by slowing water circulation inside the suit, and 3) it makes the in-out ordeal a lot easier. What's your experience?

9. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Getting into 5/4 front zip is relatively easy. Getting out when exhausted and the suit sticking to you is nearly impossible. Definitely does a bit shoulder damage trying to get that first arm past the elbow. I go with back zips for my winter gear and doesn't seem to make a difference in warmth.

I can't touch my toes so I am not too worried about suit flexibility. As long as the shoulder fit well that is all that matter to me.

10. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I wear a rash guard top,bottom (shorts) and socks. Not sure if it keeps me any warmer but it certainly makes for easy on and off.