Winter suits..... anticipation

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Just picked up a Finisterre hooded winter suit. Yulex seems flexier and plusher than Patagonia (which was a bit of a let down)

Water still warmish here, so will be December before I can report back
Ok, I wore this today as I was pushing my son into a few (and my 4/3 was wet)

Just figured out that yulex is yulex (duh) and it is not in fact flexier (on the Finisterre) owing to it being upgraded or a 'different' yulex.

It's actually flexier because there is no "liquid" seal anywhere. The same seal that went brittle within a handful of surfs in the Patagonia and it peeling off in chunks.

Ordinarily, no biggie, but on the Patagonia, the broken seal causes a stress point, which in turn will cause the seams to get lots of little holes here and there.

If they (Pat) sort out the crappy seal, or just plain do away with it altogether, the suit would be significantly better IMO

The Finisterre one seems good though, if a little overkill (5/3, hooded) for SW England at the moment.

Last edited:

hardyw

Jun 26, 2021
NJ
After reading this thread I have realized that this is why my shoulders bother me more in the colder months. If you are already committed to a chest zip that is not easy to get on and off are there any methods to make the process easier? Less injurious?

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
After reading this thread I have realized that this is why my shoulders bother me more in the colder months. If you are already committed to a chest zip that is not easy to get on and off are there any methods to make the process easier? Less injurious?
Wear a rash guard and make sure you pull the side that doesn’t have the hood attached over your shoulder first.

Uilleann

Mar 5, 2021
SE Mass
Flushing part of the suit with a bottle of warm water makes any part easier to take off, but increases the chill once you are out.

hardyw

Jun 26, 2021
NJ
I think the material that Oneil uses on the hyperfreak line of suits significantly reduces the difficulty of getting in and out of a thicker one. I have the 5/4+ hooded chest zip and the top shoulder section is super stretchy. I got out of my suit so easily when I tried it on yesterday after reading this thread. Just wanted to pass this along. Durability still in question though as I am only on my second winter with this suit.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
Just used my 3/3 isurus today. Seemed great. I am a bit worried it is too big but i actually think it is the flexibility of the Yamomoto rubber for sure has more freedom of motion vs my older suit.