Winter suits..... anticipation

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Jul 31, 2019.

1. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    I’m enjoying my summer, but can’t help thinking about winter and how much time gets wasted by frozen worthless fingers messing with stiff front zip wetsuits ..... I’ve got that 5/4 drylock suit by xcel. Has there been any real advancements in wetsuits recently that makes the whole ordeal go by faster/easier? I think id even settle for a good 5/4 back zip.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Dawnpatrol, DanSan and Driftwood like this.
  2. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    c'mon @michael i'm finally in boardies!!

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    That's funny, I had the same first twitch of anticipation today. Tried to quickly put it out of mind, though I know I'll be returning to the heated vest thread sometime very soon!

4. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Haha sorry guys

5. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Don’t know about new suits but I’m getting a pair of the solite 6mm booties (with out the bright color) so I don’t, you know, stub my toe.

6. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    If you have a winter suit you Really like- fits well, durable etc, keep an eye out NOW for the exact same suit deeply discounted either Craigs, Facebook Marketplace, or various online sites- wetsuit warehouse, swim outlet etc and pick it up as a backup or luckily new(er) and have your old one as a backup.

Any new advancements in tech are also going to come with new advancements in price- Isurus.
    The new line of Rip Curl E5 pro's are Beautiful. I would wear one to a wedding.

Once waves start firing again- and they will- dudes will be scrambling for better wave boards, other stuff etc, and cleaning out their inventory.
    Right now it's too damn dreamy warm and Flat.
    The best places to score on Craigs/FB Marketplace are towns that are just over an hour away from the water. Those suits may be older, but usually haven't seen anywhere Near as much wear and tear as some- ie Mine.

Lastly- go over, or have the seller Carefully go over the suit for wear and tear, thin spots, ripped seams.
    The most damage done to winter suits isn't from surfing them, but impatient and inflexible crackers climbing in and out of them.
    I watch these rituals with an even mix of horror, fascination, and humor.
    Good luck man.

Also pm me your size/preference and I'll keep an eye out quietly on my end for you.
    I find stuff.

davesburgers, Dawnpatrol and michael like this.
  7. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I have the same one..for OB..in the winter..i frickin love xcel..

Bruce Fowler likes this.
  8. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    c'mon @michael i'm finally in boardies!!

9. m8r

m8r Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    NC
    "I would wear one to a wedding."
    Ha ha!
    That's classic Keith!

10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m considering getting away from a chest zip for my thickest Winter suit. The constant push & pull (putting on and taking off) in the cold I swear is what screws up my shoulders. Been taking more than 6 months to recover too.

Dawnpatrol and pintail like this.