Will a glassing mask work Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by TonyPR, Mar 22, 2020.

1. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    This isn’t sarcastic in any way, it’s a serious question: Will a 3M organic vapor filter 3M type mask work in prevention of getting infected with Coronavirus?

Just thinking a bit ahead of time as N95 masks are impossible to buy and all I have is my glassing mask...eventually I am going to have to go to Costco.

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I would weigh in with what I know, but the research that I did on the matter came from Google and mass media.

Don’t bother with any type of mask. Organic vapor filters are overkill. Leave N95s for the people who need it - if you don’t know if you are one of those people, you are not. Just stay home and urge your friends to do the same. This is the way to control this.

3. frozen-bolt

frozen-bolt Member

Sep 25, 2007
    This is one area where I actually disagree with CDC guidelines. They say that if you aren't infected, then wearing a mask isn't necessary. However, with an airborne pathogen, preventing it from entering one's respiratory system is key, so lowering the risk by wearing a mask seems logical to me. But I do agree with their recommendations that if you are infected, wearing a mask is crucial.

However, to answer your question and based on the respiratory mask I have that's similar, it will work to prevent getting infected in the manner which it's designed: to prevent entry of vapors into your respiratory system. If you are infected, it won't work as good as a standard N95 mask, as the exhalation is unfiltered.

And, of course, this is merely my thoughts on the matter based on the information I have researched. It is in no way a guarantee that if you wear a filter type mask that you are immune from catching COVID-19. There are other ways to obtain the virus, so be careful with other precautions, as well.

4. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    I have N95 masks on hand for shaping as well as a double charcoal filter respirator for glassing.
    But I'm not using either on trips to get groceries or gas. think it is overkill. The whole idea of wearing ANY of the masks is to protect yourself from someone coughing and spraying droplets that may cause infection to others nearby. More importantly, the mask keeps your hands out of your mouth and nose. Which people would be shocked how often people touch their faces per hour. Your eyes, lightly wiping a mild runny nose, etc.

Even wearing disposable gloves can be futile unless you dispose of them or decontaminate them as carefully as you would your hands. Think about it.......... you put on gloves, you go to the market or gas station, you touch a surface that is contaminated. You shop and handle all the groceries putting them in your cart, or you get back in your car and touch the door handle, steering wheel, gear shift.... now you have transferred the germs to other surfaces. Or, you go home, don't remove your gloves until you have entered the house and touched surfaces.

At the CDC they have fully enclosed suits before going into Level 4 or 5 to deal with Ebola, Mers, Anthrax and the like. When they leave, they go into a decontamination room with showers. I once called the company that makes Lysol asking them if I could get rid of mold around a window that leaked in a ranch house I lived at. The engineer/scientist they referred me to told me Lysol would be effective as long as the mold and area infected was still moist. He also told me that the CDC decontamination showers use Lysol to sterilize the suits and equipment. I said "oh, you mean some special type of mix you make for them?" And he replied, "Nope, it's over the counter household Lysol".

At the end of the day, sometimes the obvious is right in front of us. Like when they educated people that household bleach kills Aids. Bleach kills just about everything, including us if were not careful.

Bottom line
    : An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Hunker down, avoid the masses, channel the hermit in you. If you have a choice, go get groceries at off crowd hours, 3 A.M. at a 24 hours market? Become a phantom, at least for now.
    [​IMG]
    Lysol + Coronavirus = Conspiracy
    Fact Checks, Viral Content / By Kim LaCapria / January 29, 2020
    Claim
    Lysol knew about coronavirus before it was common knowledge or spreading in humans.
    Rating
    Not True

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    I know there’s something out there, what I mean when I say I don’t trust mass media is that I believe they are not telling us the whole truth (like they regularly do. Now, if you have read my posts you would know I am not going out (only for my 10pm jog around the condo where I live when there’s no one out). I will at some point have to go out for groceries, that’s why I asked my original question because it’s the only type of mask I have.

6. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Thank you

7. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Thank you, I guess practicing breath hold while getting far away if by any chance somebody sneezes can also be a wise thing to do, luckily I can hold my breath for a long time.

8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Yes, I will definitely give you that. That is responsible, and thank you for doing that. I’m sorry if my reply came on a bit strong - it’s largely due to frustration with people in my area blowing off recommendations and mandates because of the media. I wish I had a dime for each time someone I know parroted the words “media hype”. Those two words were just about as contagious as COVID-19 itself.

I also agree with @frozen-bolt - I do think those masks are effective. I think they are just trying to avoid shortages by advising against it. Before this, if you saw someone in public wearing a mask, it wasn’t because they were sick, but because they didn’t want to catch whatever everyone else has. That advisory has kind of flipped reality a bit.

@Bruce Fowler - I wear gloves if I need to go out somewhere, and it’s funny... I treat it as if the germs are invisible resin. You have to be conscious about not scratching your nose or whatever once you’ve got some resin on your gloves, and same goes for germs.

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Regarding shopping - yesterday a miserable fuc*er was walking around the market where my wife was shopping. As he passed her he turned and coughed into a shelf of canned goods, walked on red rimmed eyes and all. She reported him to store manager. Beware.

Lysol knew about Corona Virus? Of course they did, it's been around since the 60's in a variety of flavors. This is a mutation we are dealing with now.

If they ever catch up with demand I wouldn't mind wearing a surgical mask when out in public like shopping.

10. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    The first thing that stuck out to me was no gloves.
    15 years or so I got a fairly stubborn cold, one of my pals asked if I’d been kissing any door knobs, what ? Kissed any door knobs ? I don’t get it, opened a door then put your hands around your face, kissed a door knob!
    I feel pretty secure in my particle mask and in my cavern, went to .99 cent store for cheap tape, 200 peeps milling about, made me insecure real fast