Who's riding double single fins?

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
These. (I think that's what they're called.) Do they work? How's it ride? Just curious.

doublesingle.jpg

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Duo's. Not a brand new concept- but definitely revitalized by Neal Purchase Jnr

And apparently they not only rip in a wide range of waves they Also rip in a wide range of board lengths.

I've seen Harrison Roach- I know he can surf anything well - on them in firing Morocco and Hawaii.

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
IMG_9973.JPG
I have ridden them for a couple of years now. My buddy at Clean Ocean Surfboards make them for me. The model is called the double single and they ride really well in our beach break. As fast as a single fin but with a bit more hold. When I first rode them, I had no idea of how it would respond but it felt super friendly from the first wave. Ridden with double foiled fins, parallel to the stringer and straight up and down. This one's a 7'2" Cosmic rider...22 inches wide. My favorite one so far.

Attachments

• IMG_9974.JPG
    IMG_9974.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9975.JPG
    IMG_9975.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9976.JPG
    IMG_9976.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 151

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
local shaper and experienced tubesmith, Lee Leatherman, has been experimenting with them. He just put a new 9' twin single RP through it's paces on some DOH to TOH nuggets on our first strong swell last week, called it smooth and fast, now going to make a 10'8 version for the boomer days.

Last edited:

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
Nice, Eric. I would almost expect it to be a lot of drag with two big fins -- how big are they? Good hold on steeper waves?
I thought drag would be heavy as well. The 1st on I had made, we put a center box in just in case I didnt like it...I could ride it as a single fin. With this one, I knew it rode well so I didn't have it put in. When I ride it on steeper waves like we get in BH, I pull the fins back in the boxes...7" basic raked fins are what I use in them.