Who'd you order a new longboard from?

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by TurtleTime, Aug 27, 2020.

1. ks77

ks77 Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Culver City, CA
    I agree. I have a 40 65 model that surfs incredibly.

SeaSpite and Patrick Riley like this.
  2. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    Out of curiosity- anyone have a ballpark what a Davenport custom runs? I know there are lots of options that will affect total price, but does anyone have a general idea off the top of their head?

3. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    Stoked! Post when done. I feel he’s bordering a living and coexisting extension of Gene Cooper. I know they have tied of some sort - not sure full extent.

WesCantDress likes this.
  4. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    “So as far as ordering goes, a custom board is $1,350, which includes glassing in isophthalic resin, gloss, and polish. You can choose to have a color tinted glass job at no additional cost. Your board order also includes your choice of a glassed-on fin or fin box and fin by Sunrise Boardworks. Any further customizations such as custom stringers, additional color work and pinlines can be added for an additional charge.”

straight from an inquiry to Adam.

5. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    Hey thanks!

WesCantDress likes this.
  6. Korey Nolan

Korey Nolan New Member

Jan 3, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Kurtis Woodin shapes and glasses all of his boards himself right behind his house in Carlsbad, and is an overall wonderful human.

https://woodinsurfboards.com/

dubhulloh7 and Ricksurfin like this.
  7. Kronix

Kronix New Member

May 1, 2010
    SoCal & SoJerz
    I’m affiliated with Vercelli Surfboards out of Oahu. We make some of the best, lightest longboards around. Our performance LB, which I ride is phenomenal! Check out www.vercellishapes.com. If you’re interested, shoot me a message or email.

8. LB LIZARD

LB LIZARD Member

Mar 22, 2007
    USA California
    For a custom longboard shaper, find one that will actually work with you. A good shaper will ask you a number of questions to custom shape a board that’s right for you. If you don’t know the answers to his questions, ask him to explain it in lingo you understand. If a shaper simply says from the get go, “I know what you want or this outta float ya,” be very weary. Some shapers have only one cookie cutter template that fits all. Also, if you are new to this custom order process, don’t be proud. Ask a very experienced knowledgeable board person to go with you to hear what you think the shaper just said. Invariably your first “custom” board will not be your last of many before you find that “magic” one.
    Good luck in your search. I have been surfing since before the Gidget era. I just ordered a custom board and gave them the specific board weight and specs. It turned out to be the weight of a “tank.“ I sold it immediately. As a result, I’m having another board shaped with a shaper that actually I listened to him and likewise he listened to me. Of course, TBD. So, finding a good shaper is like finding a good MD. Both of you need to be in some level of synch. Also, a good shaper will keep you periodically updated in their board process. Good luck in your search. Keep the forum updated on your search.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    northbeachboy likes this.
  9. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Chocolate fish is shaped by Eric Christensen who was mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Brother of Chris and seems like a great dude to work with based on what I had read. I had several back and forths with him regarding a midlength, ended up going with something off the shelf, but he was stoked to answer all my questions.

I ordered a Michael earlier in the year, was supposed to pick it up in July, but covid put the squash on travel. Hoping end of October I'll be able to make the trip and take it out at old man's for the maiden voyage.

I had a friend recently try out a Thomas Bexon and said it was one of the easiest noseriders she had been on. Devon Howard seems to enjoy his boards quite a lot. It might be cost prohibitive coming from Australia. I'd like to give them a try one day.

Good luck!

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I'd second this. I had a great experience getting a great custom from him that fits like a glove.

LB LIZARD likes this.