Whoa!

xaaronx

Jun 12, 2021
Wilmington, NC
They just dredged and filled in the beach here. It has been going on for a couple months and they are just about done with the entire island. It has completely destroyed all of the sandbars and there are only a few spots that break now unless there is solid swell in the water. This nor’easter seems to be shifting the sand around quite a bit so hopefully we get some fresh bars out of it.

They typically do it every few years depending on how bad the erosion is from hurricanes or big winter storms. The beach is nice and big now but it has caused a very steep drop off and shorebreak on most of the island. The sand quickly drops from the beach to probably about 5-6 feet deep at high tide. I predict this will be a busy season for our lifeguards due to this.
I mostly go to Wrightsville these days despite growing up at CB and Kure. I've wondered how it was breaking there with the renourishment, but haven't had a chance to get down there.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
The ones that are against tax funded beach replenishment are the same goofs that bitch about beach badges and how "beach access should ALWAYS be free man". They are never the ones with the means to afford a home near the beach and don't understand property values, investments,etc...
Almost every beach town in NJ is financially dependent on summer beach tourism...that's a fact. It brings in millions to the local economies. It's simple...no replenishment, no beaches, no summer tourism, no money.
I'll gladly pay $30/ summer for clean beaches, trained lifeguards for kids in the family and law enforcement to keep the potential maggots from fucking up everyone's beach time. I'd do that part myself but I'm retired and it was tedious when I was on the job.
All that doesn't come free.
NJ is the only place I know that uses Beach Badges. I have never found a Beach in Florida that requires a Beach Badge. there isn’t any Beaches In California that uses Beach Badges. Not sure about New England since I have not surfed up there in a long long time. Don’t know anything about NY Beaches. The few times in the last few years I have been in North and South Carolina Surfing and visiting friends and Family. Never was ask once to show a beach badge.
What's your point old man?
You got n your high Horse with with “Beaches aren’t free” yet those that don’t live near the Beach still pay taxes that in part keep those Beaches clean well guarded. When those people come to the beach as day trippers or week long vacationers they spend money supporting local businesses. The sales tax adds to the town’s coffer. If the vast majority of Beach Towns on all Coast can Survive without that Beach Badge “Tax“
You would be bitching if you had to pay to surf Rincon. then pay another fee to surf Blacks, or SanO is a State Park so you do have to pay to play.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
NJ is the only place I know that uses Beach Badges. I have never found a Beach in Florida that requires a Beach Badge. there isn’t any Beaches In California that uses Beach Badges. Not sure about New England since I have not surfed up there in a long long time. Don’t know anything about NY Beaches. The few times in the last few years I have been in North and South Carolina Surfing and visiting friends and Family. Never was ask once to show a beach badge.

You got n your high Horse with with “Beaches aren’t free” yet those that don’t live near the Beach still pay taxes that in part keep those Beaches clean well guarded. When those people come to the beach as day trippers or week long vacationers they spend money supporting local businesses. The sales tax adds to the town’s coffer. If the vast majority of Beach Towns on all Coast can Survive without that Beach Badge “Tax“
You would be bitching if you had to pay to surf Rincon. then pay another fee to surf Blacks, or SanO is a State Park so you do have to pay to play.
Sales tax adds to the towns coffers?? Sales taxes are imposed by states not municipalities. There is a one town in NJ that doesn't have Beach badges...Wildwood... and by most folks measures, it's a shithole.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
They just dredged and filled in the beach here. It has been going on for a couple months and they are just about done with the entire island. It has completely destroyed all of the sandbars and there are only a few spots that break now unless there is solid swell in the water. This nor’easter seems to be shifting the sand around quite a bit so hopefully we get some fresh bars out of it.

They typically do it every few years depending on how bad the erosion is from hurricanes or big winter storms. The beach is nice and big now but it has caused a very steep drop off and shorebreak on most of the island. The sand quickly drops from the beach to probably about 5-6 feet deep at high tide. I predict this will be a busy season for our lifeguards due to this.
Boondoggle it’s a mess out front. Don’t get me started….

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
I mostly go to Wrightsville these days despite growing up at CB and Kure. I've wondered how it was breaking there with the renourishment, but haven't had a chance to get down there.
If I lived up that way I would probably go to WB until it sorts itself back out down here. I have driven up there a couple times recently since they dredged here.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Sales tax adds to the towns coffers?? Sales taxes are imposed by states not municipalities. There is a one town in NJ that doesn't have Beach badges...Wildwood... and by most folks measures, it's a shithole.
A % of the sales tax are given back to local Goverment. In some States local Goverments can add % to the sales tax. When I was living in San Diego we had a lower sales tax then LA.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
So no badges makes it a Shit hole. What about all the thousands of beaches up and down the coast. Asbury park was a shit hole 30 years ago. Might not be that way now.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
A % of the sales tax are given back to local Goverment. In some States local Goverments can add % to the sales tax. When I was living in San Diego we had a lower sales tax then LA.
Only 14 states share sales tax with municipalities. Municipalities get their revenue from property taxes....and beach badges.