Whoa!

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I just looked it up. In our general local area the next replenishment project will be in 2023. I haven’t checked recently but guess that after 7 days of strong NE winds some beaches need it now.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
My home beach just north of Lavalette was 75 yards wide when I was a kid. It's now about 7.5 yards wide. The government installed a dune system which is growing in nicely but there is still no beach and we get sand pumped from other areas or further out, as @PeakMaster mentioned every year or two.

My go-to spot a little bit south of you used to be a gloriously wide beach with very solid dunes. During the replenishment, bigger dunes were installed and the plan was to make the beach something like 25 feet higher than sea level (if memory serves). It was insanely high with a steep dropoff to the ocean. It lasted about one summer. The ocean gobbled it all back up, bringing the beach back down to a normal elevation. But the beach is now super narrow since the huge dunes now take up half the beach. "Castles made of sand slip into the sea, eventually."

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
Answer?? Not sure what the question is. With or without rising ocean levels, over the eons barrier islands move rearward. So the answer seems to be no matters how much is spent, the land will retreat.

Last edited:

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
The ones that are against tax funded beach replenishment are the same goofs that bitch about beach badges and how "beach access should ALWAYS be free man". They are never the ones with the means to afford a home near the beach and don't understand property values, investments,etc...
Almost every beach town in NJ is financially dependent on summer beach tourism...that's a fact. It brings in millions to the local economies. It's simple...no replenishment, no beaches, no summer tourism, no money.
I'll gladly pay $30/ summer for clean beaches, trained lifeguards for kids in the family and law enforcement to keep the potential maggots from fucking up everyone's beach time. I'd do that part myself but I'm retired and it was tedious when I was on the job.
All that doesn't come free.

Last edited:

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
NJ is the only place I know that uses Beach Badges. California does not use Badges Never found a beach in Florida that uses Beach Badges. Not sure about NY or New England. Haven’t been up there in a long time. The few times that in the last few years that I was up in the Carolinas every beach I visited did not require a Beach Badge.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
NJ is the only place I know that uses Beach Badges. California does not use Badges Never found a beach in Florida that uses Beach Badges. Not sure about NY or New England. Haven’t been up there in a long time. The few times that in the last few years that I was up in the Carolinas every beach I visited did not require a Beach Badge.
What's your point old man?

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
They just dredged and filled in the beach here. It has been going on for a couple months and they are just about done with the entire island. It has completely destroyed all of the sandbars and there are only a few spots that break now unless there is solid swell in the water. This nor’easter seems to be shifting the sand around quite a bit so hopefully we get some fresh bars out of it.

They typically do it every few years depending on how bad the erosion is from hurricanes or big winter storms. The beach is nice and big now but it has caused a very steep drop off and shorebreak on most of the island. The sand quickly drops from the beach to probably about 5-6 feet deep at high tide. I predict this will be a busy season for our lifeguards due to this.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
They just dredged and filled in the beach here. It has been going on for a couple months and they are just about done with the entire island. It has completely destroyed all of the sandbars and there are only a few spots that break now unless there is solid swell in the water. This nor’easter seems to be shifting the sand around quite a bit so hopefully we get some fresh bars out of it.

They typically do it every few years depending on how bad the erosion is from hurricanes or big winter storms. The beach is nice and big now but it has caused a very steep drop off and shorebreak on most of the island. The sand quickly drops from the beach to probably about 5-6 feet deep at high tide. I predict this will be a busy season for our lifeguards due to this.
What replenishment does to the breaks is a total crap shoot. I've seen it improve them and destroy them and everything in between.