Where to go from an 8'0"?

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
So my shaper buddy Terry Senate is ready to make me a board tomorrow or Friday. Been a long wait. basically i bought an 8' Roy Sanchez pintail glider which i absolutely love, this was sort of what i wanted Terry to originally make. Anyway I own a 7'4" Lost Smooth operator already and i know i want bigger than that. And i have some 9' and above boards.

basically i am thinking either 7'9" or like 8'3"

Looking to get something different than the single fin pintail.. Terry is open to making whatever. Anyone ride a shape in the 7'9" or 8'3" that really shines for north county san diego.

I actually have never ridden a fish in my life so i thought maybe a swallow tail twin or quad? I do know i like a more pulled in nose.. not looking for a mini nose rider

I am going to let terry dictate rocker, bottom contour, and rail shape as i am not even going to pretend i know more about that than him.

Sadly i am healing a cracked rib right now from "teaching" my 6 year old to skateboard. So its only mind surfing and thinking of a new shape.

any advice and examples appreciated

my stats
45 year old
167lb
solid intermediate surfer
ride most the oceanside area

Munster

Feb 20, 2021
Meiners Oaks CA
In general ,most San Diego breaks have less power than the waves in my neck of the woods, so i would go with more float . Remember, the older you get and the less powerful the surf, Foam is your friend. An experienced shaper such as Terry Senate ,should be able to increase the volume in your board by crowning the deck, thereby still facilitating a performance rail. I am in my 60s and ride an 8'6" round pin and an 8'9" swallowtail as my everyday boards . My shaper , Dave Johnson can get 3. 65 " thickness out of most blanks that size.

SdSurferguy

Oct 18, 2006
USA
I suggest a fishsimmons shape with tri fin setup. You'll love it in all the surf north county has to offer. If you're primarily surfing Oceanside go a bit shorter, if you're doing the reefs maybe a tad longer. Anything between 7'10 and 8'3.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.01.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.01.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.55.20 AM.png

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
I suggest a fishsimmons shape with tri fin setup. You'll love it in all the surf north county has to offer. If you're primarily surfing Oceanside go a bit shorter, if you're doing the reefs maybe a tad longer. Anything between 7'10 and 8'3.

View attachment 28035 View attachment 28036

View attachment 28034
So i have to ask a few questions because this shape does look very cool. What does the 3rd center fin do? Does it work like as truster? I thought a 3 fin cluster like that is to generate speed / and to create a bit of drag to hold back when needed? Would this work as twin as well?

This may be a different thread but i always have ridden single fins and ridden 2+1 a few times. i assume i am a backfoot surfer. I tend to slide my back foot back to really pivot a turn, but more times than not i kind of ride my boards from the center and just snake gentle rail to rail turns down the line. I guess i sort of ride my midlengths the same way i ride my single fin logs.

going to this shape above / big twin fish am i going to need to change the way i surf to go to front foot turning more?

thanks

Kerry

glider_boy

Apr 14, 2011
SD
So i have to ask a few questions because this shape does look very cool. What does the 3rd center fin do? Does it work like as truster? I thought a 3 fin cluster like that is to generate speed / and to create a bit of drag to hold back when needed? Would this work as twin as well?

This may be a different thread but i always have ridden single fins and ridden 2+1 a few times. i assume i am a backfoot surfer. I tend to slide my back foot back to really pivot a turn, but more times than not i kind of ride my boards from the center and just snake gentle rail to rail turns down the line. I guess i sort of ride my midlengths the same way i ride my single fin logs.

going to this shape above / big twin fish am i going to need to change the way i surf to go to front foot turning more?

thanks

Kerry
Like you, I primarily ride single fin longboards and gravitate towards a mid-board stance. I have found the transition to a tri-fin fish simmons pretty effortless. The third fin makes it less skate-y than a twin. It turns fairly easily provided you step back a bit. I wouldn't really say it works like a thruster insofar as these boards (at least the ones made by Miller, Hall, Griffin etc) have speed to burn and you don't really need to pump them . In my experience the tri-fin setup is just more user friendly to a surfer of average skills than a twin would be.

SDBoardHoarder

Sep 28, 2018
San Diego

thanks

Kerry

with plugs they work with a wide variety of fin options. I have the stussy s doubles to ride as a twin, with or without the trailer option, skip tri set up to ride as a truster and tru ames boomerangs sides with the stussy center as my current preferred set up on my 9'2. Also have a 7'10 and 10'8, both are glassed on tris. If you want to really be correct 3 plugs on each side to knock the fins back when riding as a twin (i dont have).

IMO you wont need to change anything. These things work.

CantDecide

Oct 19, 2020
San Diego
Agreed on the FS shape. And get the 3 FCS plugs on each side like SDBoardHoarder said and the possibilities are endless. Take a look at my avatar pic to see what all those plugs look like. It works!

SdSurferguy

Oct 18, 2006
USA

thanks

Kerry

The tri is the most user friendly of the bunch. Not too tracky, with plenty of speed for where you're surfing. You won't have to change your style. I can count on one hand the amount of times I wish I'd brought a different board to the beach. As mentioned above, do plugs so you can try different fin options.

+1 on the skips and grennans