What is reasonable?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Nov 26, 2017.

1. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Pieter is fortunate to live whee he does, I’d really like my own glass shop, but I’m in SoCal where every proctologist is a surfboard factory inspector.
    800.00 fee to keep a drum of resin, Air quality, fire Dept and find people to show up for work and do s good job.
    They’re working for someone else already.
    The glass shop I’m financing built the last board before I left for Europe in 3 days, the order came in late and was followed by veiled threats that I’d have to eat the order if it was ready when they arrived.
    Andrew was called and told he wasn’t feeling the love because Jim wasn’t holding his hand and giving guided tours.
    I flatly confronted him as said if getting your layer order done in 3 days isn’t showing you the love, what is.
    He’s already to order the next board.

Kaion in Waikiki places an order 8 years ago for 10 boards with 5,000.00$ deposit to a famous Guru shaper, he’s still dodging them

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

Yup.

3. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    The "Gucci designers or young learning to shape divas might be more right than we know if you apply Business 101 to the equation. For every dollar it takes a manufacturer to produce a product, he should charge three to cover the expense of being in business. That includes paying himself a fair wage. This was basic economics fed to me when I went to college. So a $500 surfboard should be $1500 and if a retailer wants to sell them with the same mark up as a t shirt by "keystoning" (doubling) it, that would put the boards at $3K.

This USED TO BE the accepted business formula. Not anymore. If you watch "Shark Tank" someone comes on looking for a deal with some widget, and they ask "what do you sell it for"?..... "$29.95"............. "what does it cost for you to make it"?............... "$3.19 landed".

And all the Sharks nod and say "ahhhh....good margin"!

WHERE do you find a HANDMADE CUSTOM item in this world anymore?

We make customs at a mass produced price. High expectations, low reward.

WHY is the price of surfboards historically a slim margined product? Did it all start by Bear shaping one with an adz for next to nothing while living under the pier?

The market is now more diluted than ever before and you can buy a Wavestorn or a Ferrari.

Find what works for you and for your clients and get 'em done sooner than later. The longer you take, the less you make.

It cost $ to tread water in the universe I live in.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    SeniorGrom likes this.
  4. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    1)
    WHERE do you find a HANDMADE CUSTOM item in this world anymore?

2)
    WHY is the price of surfboards historically a slim margined product?

3)
    Did it all start by Bear shaping one with an adz for next to nothing while living under the pier?

4)
    The market is now more diluted than ever before and you can buy a Wavestorn or a Ferrari.

5)
    Find what works for you and for your clients and get 'em done sooner than later. The longer you take, the less you make.It cost $ to tread water in the universe I live in.[/QUOTE]

1)
    Wherever.

2)
    It is for you?

3)
    I don’t know. Bear was a fictional character in a movie.

4)
    makes zero sense.

5)
    Smart. Make the board quickly, by yourself.

5. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Bear was a fictional character based upon a real person.

6. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    You know that also? Good stuff!

jbb likes this.
  7. shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    I said for decades that the same amount of work that goes into just the glass job on a surfboard would be 2500 -3500 on a car or boat, if not more.
    Surfboards are fragile and are subject to daily risk and damage, todays boards are unlikely to survive the near 70 years some of the survivors have.
    Bear, based on Velzy was to blame by Clark to be the reason surfboards prices have stayed low by giving boards to good surfers creating the Bro deal.
    As Steve indicates, Surfboards SHOULD sell for around 3,000 with the material and labor costs, if not a great more.
    But finding customers who have been raised on the Velzy principal that could and would pay this much for a semi disposable product is at this time nearly impossible.
    They would have to be seriously stronger, needing materials and construction methods unlikely to look as pretty and not legal by California standards.
    The break in builder will always do ANYTHING to get his product out there, legal or not.
    The deck is stacked against surfboards selling for what any other handmade custom product does outside the surfing world.
    They are not in any time soon going to climb to the level of custom cars or motor cycles.
    I will continue to be a dinosaur in the finance world, surviving OK, never getting rich by any standards, but loving what I do as the asteroid hurtles through space with it’s ultimate destination the custom surfboard builder.
    In a hundred years, the question will be, why did they die off?
    The answers have already been stated by the all the above.

walkingtheplank likes this.
  8. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    Teachers should be paid more, yet we teach.

9. shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    I see I brain farted referring to Bruce Fowler as Steve earlier.

And teachers, my wife was an autism therapist for over 20 years, she and the others financed their classroom.
    The California lottery was established to improve the funding of schools, how can we pay the very people who are there to educate our children earning at near poverty levels.
    That is the steaming crock of bullshit if there ever was one.
    A noble profession

10. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Teachers should be paid in gold, respect, and eternal admiration and a pension with medical benefits
    I’m a son of retired NC public school teachers and surfer waiting on 2 boards

Artz, davey and hankster like this.