what glider for beachbreak?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    SharkB8 wrote:
    I saw an original modern Skip Frye headed to RC for restoration a few years ago and it was most likely scanned or copied because RC skippers started showing up a few months later. Nice looking template.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    all very helpful. Located on the Oregon coast. Looking for idea more then anything, been reading some shapers perspective, such as Josh Hall.
    My shaper, Art Coyler, has ordered in a 3 stringer for a 10' board. He used to shape next to Larry Mabile back in the day, know's his shapes well, and can ping Larry for some rocker dims.
    Like to understand what makes a board work before I order it, and this board will be very different from my usual mid lengths and lb's.

3. Fubar

Fubar Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    The two best 11' boards I've ridden are the above-mentioned Andreini and a Christenson. Both have drawn out pintail templates. Also, very flat rocker with a little bit of kick in the nose. Neither pushes much water and they paddle like lightening. The Christension was narrower, maybe by an inch and a bit thinner, more like a "flying letter opener" if you know what I mean. Make sure to go for 11'. You get a little bit earlier takeoff by going for 11' vs. 10'6". It's worth it.
    Both are good in beach break, which is mostly what there is around here. They are particularly good on bigger days when you getting more of the wave through a much earlier takeoff -- makes beach breaks easier to handle.

4. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    great advice so far. Going to go with the 10' since blank already in, size up on the next one.Really liking the outline on this one.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

5. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Surfnfish wrote:
    My daily driver is a 10'3 version of this board. Rides a foot shorter than actual length but, catches just about anything. I ride the crap out of it in everything from sloppy beach break to lined up winter point swell. I've owned or ridden the mabile, m. miller, frye, numerous other San Diego shaper's glider models and my rat rod pin striped Andreini is the best, hands down. To each their own

6. soul_glide

soul_glide Active Member

Jan 1, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    9'6 Mitsven eagle glider works for me in NJ bb. Have surfed it both outside head high walled up zippers and steep inside jacking backwash peaks. Also fun in small clean knee to belly sliders.

[​IMG]

Single concave nose blended to double concave through the tail with hard edge in the tail rails. Killer tail rocker keeps it loose and lively. Got it wired with a 7.5" TA L-flex

7. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    Recently spent time with a rapidly emerging shaping friend measuring bottom rocker and contours on his favored boards from Andreini and CC, and we were surprised to realize both used the same bottom profile, done a bit differently.Both shapers installed a center concave from about 2 feet from the nose to just behind the center point. So entry belly, concave, panel V - the concave more of a channel concave with a subtle edge on each side of the concave which then broke/rolled to the rails. Andreini concave wider with more angle break to the rails, CC narrower with less break to the rails.Do those with Andreini gliders seem the same bottom installed? Or on the other gliders mentioned?As mentioned, like to dig into board dims and contours, helps me understand why what works does, and why what doesn't...doesn't.

8. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    jbb wrote:
    pics?

9. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Surfnfish wrote:
    Not tonight. The P.C. is down for repair and that's where all the photos are located.

10. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    jbb wrote:
    Mine is the baby blue one in the middle. all three boards are virtually the same lengths

more Glider talk -

http://jamboards.com/view_topic.php?id=15654&forum_id=1

Attached files
    [​IMG]