What do you think when you see a woman in the lineup?

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I usually saw Margo at Stanley's and sometimes Miramar (the point down from Hammond's Reef).

She really impressed me surfing the Stanley's rights in front of the creek mouth that came out of the underpass where we would camp for days during the summer. Such a cool spot. We also surfed "Tanks" which was further south a few miles.

It hardly ever breaks anymore.
Those spots are among my fondest surfing memories. Shark's Cove(on the rare occasion's when it would break) was also a treat. I remember camping at Stanley's for just about the whole summer of 1967. My mother would bring us up groceries to keep us going as I think she was glad to keep us out of the house.

I have to give honorable mention to two female surfers from the Ventura area. Corrine McCarter and Paulene Murray. Corrine was originally from Huntington Beach and was a hot little goofy footer. When I knew her she didn't have a real board of her own(I think she may have had a home made kid's board or something), but at 5'1", she commanded my 10 foot Jacobs like it was her own. She later transitioned into shortboards and eventually married Bill Hubina of William Dennis fame.

Pauline Murray on the other hand was from Oxnard, CA and also a friend of Corrine and Bob Cooper. She was a free spirit person and owned a van from which she would taxi us up to all the surf spots north of Ventura. A lot of us who didn't own cars back then owe a tremendous amount of gratitude to Paulene for her generosity in hauling around a bunch of knuckleheads. She was also a good surfer in her own right. The last I heard of her, she became a nurse and was still living somewhere in Oxnard. She would be over 70 now and most likely "retired".

These were some of the unsung hero female surfers who unfortunately didn't get any of the press from the biased surfing magazines and most likely, there are many more from your coastal communities that you know and have admired.

Last edited:

NCJohn

Oct 27, 2015
Wilmington, NC
There is a god! :) at least in my experience most of the time it mellows out the mostly all male crowd and I agree with the earlier poster women tend to be more graceful in every aspect of surfing (with exceptions of course)

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I usually saw Margo at Stanley's and sometimes Miramar (the point down from Hammond's Reef).

She really impressed me surfing the Stanley's rights in front of the creek mouth that came out of the underpass where we would camp for days during the summer. Such a cool spot. We also surfed "Tanks" which was further south a few miles.

It hardly ever breaks anymore.

The last news I heard was Margo is living up in Santa Ynez Valley where I live. Of course she was in Hawaii for a long time and distinguished herself as a very solid surfer in bigger surf. Kim could handle some of the bigger stuff too, while Char preferred smaller fun surf, usually riding Yater Spoons, Bradbury's & Owl shortboards that I shaped her, then later on Wayne Rich's LB's. Another local woman, Callie Trenary (Bowdish) really stood out as one of the first local women that could handle big Rincon. She rode Bob Krause's boards, as did Tommy Curren before he ended up on Merrick's.

Here's a photo of Chris (Char's sister) Randy Rostoker, and me (in Levi's) with an Owl I shaped in the early 70's. The maxing Rincon photo is Callie circa 1983. I just found out she lives with her husband someone near me in Solvang. I've also included a Swaylocks link that guys that ride Vacqueros might find historically interesting.
View attachment 34383 View attachment 34384
You always seem to come up with the great photo's. You could probably come up with your own surfing history book of Santa Barbara. My only regret is that nobody in our entourage ever carried a camera. Those cheap tight ass bustards(including myself) couldn't seem to be able to afford the film. A lot of great opportunities to document places and people who aren't here anymore were wasted. When you were 17 years old back then, all you were interested in was surf, scrounging up gas money, a little food somewhere, obtaining and smoking a some pot, and chicks. Not necessarily in that order.

Last edited:

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
You always seem to come up with the great photo's. You could probably come up with your own surfing history book of Santa Barbara.
Not my thing.
I'm writing an autobiography, which starts at age 4 in early day Santa Barbara. Since I started surfing t the 'sand bar' aka SB Sandspit, in 1959, surfing will definitely have a healthy portion of it, including being bullied in 7th grade for peroxiding my hair & living in the mountains above SB on a ranch....... being different makes you a target.

Ironically all that bullying in my 7th & 8th grade by the 9th graders, probably resulted in developing a tremendous drive to become a really good surfer.

Funny what life dishes out while forming you into the person you'll become.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Not my thing.
I'm writing an autobiography, which starts at age 4 in early day Santa Barbara. Since I started surfing t the 'sand bar' aka SB Sandspit, surfing will definitely have a healthy portion of it, including being bullied in 7th grade for peroxiding my hair & living in the mountains above SB on a ranch....... being different makes you a target.

Ironically all that bullying in my 7th & 8th grade by the 9th graders, probably resulted in developing a tremendous drive to become a really good surfer.

Funny what life dishes out while forming you into the person you'll become.
Well, it's still a great contribution to the story and I always enjoy them.