What do you think when you see a woman in the lineup?

Nilus

Jun 30, 2008
Next weekend, Oceanside pier, hope for good conditions, added a longboard division this year with some local talent! - https://supergirlsurfpro.com/

Went back to first page of this thread and saw some long-gone members. Made me think I miss G-Coast's posts, but not his preference for eating sardines in mustard sauce.
My daughter will be in the shortboard event. Waves should be fun!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
In the early days Margo (GodfreyOberg) graced our waters around Santa Barbara. My 1st exposure to a woman surfing was Linda Merrill @ Leadbetter, and she surfed really well. Still around and hangs with Gidget to this day... Mike Doyle & Linda won every Tandem surfing competition known to man!
Char Lockerbie's sister, Chris was my girlfriend, we all worked at Surf 'n Wear as the core of the place for years. Char surfed really well for decades before her back finally forced her to retire from surfing. Her stylish backside at Rincon & Leadbetter (seen here) was always noted & appreciated.
Then there was young Kim Mearig who I helped fit her first wetsuit when she came to Surf n Wear with her mom.

Loved watching Kim grow in leaps & bounds, usually at Rincon but occasionally when she joined us at Jalama.
Beautiful style, graceful like Margo & Char......... nowadays the women totally rip!
Hmmmm, let's see if this works: https://images.app.goo.gl/FGFGrz39BXN9qyuL9 Footnote: Click on Becky Benson & others = gr8.
KIM CUTBACK.jpg
kim backside.jpg
CHAR @ RINCON.jpg
CHAR @ LEADBETTER.jpg
CHAR & CHRIS.jpg

Last edited:

Nilus

Jun 30, 2008
In the early days Margo (GodfreyOberg) graced our waters around Santa Barbara. My 1st exposure to a woman surfing was Linda Merrill @ Leadbetter, and she surfed really well. Still around and hangs with Gidget to this day... Mike Doyle & Linda won every Tandem surfing competition known to man!
Char Lockerbie's sister, Chris was my girlfriend, we all worked at Surf 'n Wear as the core of the place for years. Char surfed really well for decades before her back finally forced her to retire from surfing. Her stylish backside at Rincon & Leadbetter (seen here) was always noted & appreciated.
Then there was young Kim Mearig who I helped fit her first wetsuit when she came to Surf n Wear with her mom.

Loved watching Kim grow in leaps & bounds, usually at Rincon but occasionally when she joined us at Jalama.
Beautiful style, graceful like Margo & Char......... nowadays the women totally rip!
Hmmmm, let's see if this works: https://images.app.goo.gl/FGFGrz39BXN9qyuL9
View attachment 34309
Epic stuff, Bruce. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The new generation of SB girls, still on yellow CIs surfing the same spots. This one from the J a couple weeks ago ...
velamattive_20210911_194601_1.jpg
velamattive_20210911_194601_0.jpg

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
We are blessed to have women out there sharing a common love of the ocean's rhythm. They are the mother's of the world. Women carry us into this world, they are the creators. Their tolerance & capability to love is incomparable.

Without them bearing the pain, we cease to exist.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
In the early days Margo (GodfreyOberg) graced our waters around Santa Barbara.
I remember Margo from surfing Stanley's in 1967 & 1968. She was an up and comer back then. I saw her again while surfing Hammonds Reef. She was really good from my memory. There weren't that many female surfer then, but I could never understand why.

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
I remember Margo from surfing Stanley's in 1967 & 1968. She was an up and comer back then. I saw her again while surfing Hammonds Reef. She was really good from my memory. There weren't that many female surfer then, but I could never understand why.
She and I paddled out at maxing Cardiff reef together about that time. Only two people made it out while I was there, and I didn't distinguish myself. Far from it.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I usually saw Margo at Stanley's and sometimes Miramar (the point down from Hammond's Reef).

She really impressed me surfing the Stanley's rights in front of the creek mouth that came out of the underpass where we would camp for days during the summer. Such a cool spot. We also surfed "Tanks" which was further south a few miles.

It hardly ever breaks anymore.

The last news I heard was Margo is living up in Santa Ynez Valley where I live. Of course she was in Hawaii for a long time and distinguished herself as a very solid surfer in bigger surf. Kim could handle some of the bigger stuff too, while Char preferred smaller fun surf, usually riding Yater Spoons, Bradbury's & Owl shortboards that I shaped her, then later on Wayne Rich's LB's. Another local woman, Callie Trenary (Bowdish) really stood out as one of the first local women that could handle big Rincon. She rode Bob Krause's boards, as did Tommy Curren before he ended up on Merrick's.

Here's a photo of Chris (Char's sister) Randy Rostoker, and me (in Levi's) with an Owl I shaped in the early 70's. The maxing Rincon photo is Callie circa 1983. I just found out she lives with her husband someone near me in Solvang. I've also included a Swaylocks link that guys that ride Vacqueros might find historically interesting.
Callie @ Rincon circa 1983.jpg
Chris, Randy, BF.jpg

Last edited:

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I usually saw Margo at Stanley's and sometimes Miramar (the point down from Hammond's Reef).

She really impressed me surfing the Stanley's rights in front of the creek mouth that came out of the underpass where we would camp for days during the summer. Such a cool spot. We also surfed "Tanks" which was further south a few miles.

It hardly ever breaks anymore.

The last news I heard was Margo is living up in Santa Ynez Valley where I live. Of course she was in Hawaii for a long time and distinguished herself as a very solid surfer in bigger surf. Kim could handle some of the bigger stuff too, while Char preferred smaller fun surf, usually riding Yater Spoons, Bradbury's & Owl shortboards that I shaped her. Another local woman, Callie Trenary (Bowdish) really stood out as one of the first local women that could handle big Rincon. She rode Bob Krause's boards, as did Tommy Curren before he ended up on Merrick's.

Here's a photo of Chris (Char's sister) Randy Rostoker, and me (in Levi's) with an Owl I shaped in the early 70's. The maxing Rincon photo is Callie circa 1983. I just found out she lives with her husband someone near me in Solvang. I've also included a Swaylocks link that guys that ride Vacqueros might find historically interesting.
View attachment 34383 View attachment 34384
The seventies, when you just put your new pintail straight onto the concrete sidewalk...

Good times