What do you think when you see a woman in the lineup?

kerchie

Sep 21, 2005
I may be asking the wrong thing here....I am not sure of the answers I'll get. But what do you think when you see a woman paddle out into the lineup?
My husband and I were talking about this the other day and he said I should ask you guys....

sometimes I wonder what others are thinking when they see me out there....my husband says men act differently, like they will move away from me (if it is a beach break) a bit. My husband thinks they act slightly less aggressive then if he was out there alone. Although I would not even think of going out to a point break unless it was completely empty--which won't be happening anywhere around here!

Another time I have been circled by a bunch of kids on pointy shortboards (at SanO of all places!) in hopes of getting me to move on I suppose.....that was on a Saturday during the summer....I guess I looked like their mother.

I am a kook(!), but my husband can surf (he is so excited to have me just out there trying...it's a slow curve, but I am progressing).

Hmmmm.....a kook and somebody's mother, maybe I am answering my own question....

Anyhow, glad the forum is back..I've enjoyed lurking around. You guys are entertaining and I do learn things too from some posts.

Silk123

Feb 11, 2005
USA New Jersey
i like seeing a woman paddle out into the lineup. to me, if you are a beginner, you are a beginner regardless of whether you are a man or woman. i've watched women come out before and proceed to tear it up. so i dont relate level of skill to gender.

and besides, guys are guys and like to have a pretty woman around most of the time

g-coast

Mar 2, 2004
kerchie wrote:
...what do you think when you see a woman paddle out into the lineup?

I would never even have thought that this would be a question. Han-kerchief, a chick in the lineup? who cares? Personally, I like it. I can't speak for the E-Coast or the W-coast, but here on the G-Coast, we are all one when in the water. Don't even think about it cause there's nothing to think about. you're being paranoid. Just paddle out like the rest of us and have fun.:D

grush

Aug 8, 2005
I agree w/ g-coast. Just go out and have fun, don't worry about what others may think about you being in the line up. The ones who have a problem with a women in the line up are the same ones who drop in on others, give attitude and generally show no respect to anyone in the water.

BillyBob

Feb 19, 2004
USA California
g-coast wrote:
Han-kerchief, :D ooo, beat me to the punch...
curtsy - there are plenty of women where I surf and about a third of them can surf circles around me. I don't ever presume anything about a woman who paddles out into the lineup. At some of the better breaks I've surfed (Malibu, SanO), a good percentage of the women surfers are as good or better than the best male surfers.

So, when I watch a surfer, man or woman, I watch how they surf, their style, their ability to handle the board, how they pull-out, how they deal with crowds. If you can develop a graceful, cool style, you'll be appreciated whether you are a man or woman. And, it's real cool that you are trying with your husband.

CoWaBunGA

p.s. do the dawn patrol at the point breaks, you won't regret it...

mmurphy

May 13, 2005
USA California
It works for me, just more natural beauty to appreciate while sitting there waiting for the next set! Nothing like tight fittting neoprene to show off the female form. Ok well again, speaking from a nor cal standpoint. The warm water guys Im sure have a different image in their minds but we dont get too many bikini clad female surfers in Santa Cruz ;-)

Gender isnt an issue. Respecting the etiquette and having a smile on your face is all I care about whether m or f.

mmurphy

May 13, 2005
USA California
After reading the question again I realized I didnt answer it accurately. What I find myself "thinkin" especially if she is cute AND can surf is "hmmmmm I wonder if she's single?" :D:D