What board are you vibing on these days?

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
I was riding Mizrachi's JP wombat a little, and absolutely loving it. So good. Jumped back on my Vaquero in the last couple weeks and I've been surfing that again, and it's just kind of a perfect surfboard for me.

Largoazul

Mar 9, 2017
Maine
Looks like a late 1966 to early 1967 board to me. Based on the fin design, nose rocker and rails.

i believe so. Think it has the Hynson fin routed into the balsa. You would know better than me though. Rides great. I like em thin.

Sparky

Oct 9, 2019
San Diego
I've been riding my 9-8 Cooperfish Supernova religiously for the last two months and I never felt so much love for an inanimate object before. Its magic and I would probably pull the trigger and buy another one if it pops up

I wish I had more pictures to show it off more

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 129

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
My go to for the last year, 5'0 ASQ Microlight with custom quads from Rich Halcyon. The board really came to life for me after getting these fins.

Attachments

• 20190304_124634.jpg
    20190304_124634.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
CBF7F7F2-578B-45DC-AABF-05B7614F08C6.jpeg
Your a brave man:cool:

Thin line between brave and stupid. Honestly, I wouldn't have chosen black gloss on a custom. Was never particularly into black resin boards. Then I saw this one in my local shop... originally went in to look at a C-Bucket, and pulled the Flathead down "just to see". And went back again the next day... just for a second look at that deep nose concave. Day 3 I just happened to be in the neighborhood, so I stopped in to double check the piggish outline and the flat just before that roll at back 1/3. Went back a few more times. By then end of the week I was like monkey at the monolith in 2001. I still kinda am.

At this point I kinda like that it's a black box. Just mysterious. But alas, with that black gloss a board bag is a MUST at all times. Imo, a small price to pay. Also, having black resin with a gloss polish makes boards 3% faster, most people don't know that, but it's just science.

Last edited:

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
9’4 CC Flathead wax melter. Prolly be a 9’6 if the nose were to follow the traditional curve. Paddles like a monster, super lively off the back foot, and a perfect gas pedal walking to the nose. Noserides require a set up so far back in the pocket you’re sure you’d never make it out, then walk those paces to the nose, time the lip just on your heels and enjoy some tip time (briefly in my case)...

View attachment 22312 View attachment 22313 View attachment 22314 View attachment 22315
Beautiful board man. I was stuck between the Salinas and the Flathead, ended up with the Salinas as it was $600 cheaper (at the time) and Tyler's turn around time was really fast. I've read the flathead is supposed to be ridden longer than traditional? True?

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Beautiful board man. I was stuck between the Salinas and the Flathead, ended up with the Salinas as it was $600 cheaper (at the time) and Tyler's turn around time was really fast. I've read the flathead is supposed to be ridden longer than traditional? True?

Thanks Speak. I haven't surfed a Salinas, but the plan shape on that sled looks impeccable. As for the CC, I've heard Mikey DeTemple suggest surfing them longer, but I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind that, or how much longer is implied. Obviously the flat nose is taking off 2 inches so maybe that's what he's hinting at. I could also venture a guess - being that the flathead feels extremely lively, responsive, and quicker than other noseriders I've surfed. I think going longer may give the board a more familiar feel to someone looking to preserve ride characteristics from their previous longboard. Hence if you're surfing a 9'2, and what the same vibe on the flathead, you may feel more at home on a 9'5 or 9'6.

On the $$$ topic... I admittedly paid too much for that christenson. BUT I would never undo that purchase, I fell in love, and that was that. It was riiiiight before COVID too. So surf wise, the timing couldn't have been better. Been in the water more than ever these last few months...