what are people listening to today?

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
I don't but I hear ya. :) Funny story- when I was a 10 year old kid freshly moved to "Dogtown", Mike Muir and I were in competition for being best friends with a third kid. Trio tension! Mike at age 10 was just a skinny little kid like me, and we took turns provoking each other. One day it was Mike's turn. He had me cornered in a carport, daring me to make the first move. I hocked a huge loogy and held it.... He said "I dare you!"

I lost track of Mike until Institutionalized came out, years later, and there he was, a big thuggish lout with a gnarly band and apparently, a street gang. And flashed to the last memory I had of him, with that green snot oyster running down his incredulous face.
Dude. That is AMAZING! What a classic tale... and a stellar snot shot!

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
“Bikini Girls with Machine Guns” might the the locals’ anthem in the not too distant future.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 10

tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
San Francisco
Ah man. Norma Tanega passed away last year. Not that she wasn't known and respected enough for her achievements, but I hope she got a little shot of $$ from "You're Dead" getting hipster play from Flight of the Conchords fans. I think a few of you fellow oldsters might remember "Walking My Cat Named Dog". Here's one from the same record (all of which is great), and one from her second LP which is more obscure. RIP.

tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
San Francisco
Sounds perfect.

Something about that middle period Fleetwood Mac just evokes "surfing" to me- the moody, solipsistic aspect. "Future Games" is just saturated with that vibe.

"Albatross" seems like it was written with a 70s surfing soundtrack in mind. I like this followup attempt at a soundalike from Bare Trees:

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Sounds perfect.

Something about that middle period Fleetwood Mac just evokes "surfing" to me- the moody, solipsistic aspect. "Future Games" is just saturated with that vibe.

"Albatross" seems like it was written with a 70s surfing soundtrack in mind.
We cranked their Sands of Time every morning on the drive to the Canyon. That track took almost exactly the time it took to reach the trailhead in a loaded VW. That line up put on a killer concert in Santa Barbara around then and the crowd looked like it was the screening of another Five Summer Stories plus. Thinking about it now, nearly fifty years on, the sand dunes that stretch up to South Jetty, the Crook, and the Rock, they coulda’ been a local surf band. Years later members of Honk did move up there.

Last edited:

tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
San Francisco
Man, you saw some great shows, the Yellow Submarine movie included.
I'm glad I was born when I was (1962)... but I wouldn't have minded being born a decade earlier, to enjoy as a young, independent adult the world I was observing as an adolescent.

The reason I love going to New Zealand is that it reminds me of the world I knew as a kid/teen in the 60s and 70s here in California- essentially, less wealth inequity (middle class majority) and less people. It just feels lighter.

Lolling on the sand in Kaikoura, I found those exact same little dried kelp bulbs that I used to pop and turn into pointy finger tips as a kid in the dunes at Trancas. They still fit :) Serious time travel.

Music does the same.

Last edited:

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Man, you saw some great shows, the Yellow Submarine movie included.
I'm glad I was born when I was (1962)... but I wouldn't have minded being born a decade earlier, to enjoy as a young, independent adult the world I was observing as an adolescent.

The reason I love going to New Zealand is that it reminds me of the world I knew as a kid/teen in the 60s and 70s here in California- essentially, less wealth inequity (middle class majority) and less people. It just feels lighter.

Lolling on the sand in Kaikoura, I found those exact same little dried kelp bulbs that I used to pop and turn into pointy finger tips as a kid in the dunes at Trancas. Serious time travel memory.

Music does the same....
NZ sounds really good right now. The live music/dance concerts of the late '60's were a singular phenomenon. You didn't have to go for the biggest name groups. Maybe they wouldn't sound as good to me now (ha!) but you could pretty much have your mind blown on a weekly basis (or more) if you lived near a popular music venue, or two, or three...