Wetsuits hanging from the side mirror

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I have trouble remembering back to pre-retirement years. I know I haven’t done it though. I always drive home, rinse my boards & wetsuit with fresh water. Hang the suit on a shady side yard fence. Sponge and dry my board. Then coffee and breakfast. Super boring but what I do. Remember to take your afternoon nap too (unless the surf is absolutely epic). ;)

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
I would love to hear what the old timers say, but I think it's a throw back to the Baja days, and probably even before that when surfers were considered dirtbags, lived in their cars at the beach (think Dora, Tubesteak days) and hung their boardies on the antenna.

Adamclimbs

May 26, 2017
Santa Cruz
This thread is really getting somewhere. Keep ‘‘em coming.

As I alluded to earlier from growing up in Santa Cruz, I always thought that hanging the wetsuit off the mirror was only for the “Core Lords” or Methheads. It’s disappointing to see this indigenous tradition being appropriated by sprinter van folks.

JVRI

Nov 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Not sure if this thread will appreciate or hate this, but I picked up one of these hanger dryers last winter and it is kind of amazing. Winter 5/4 suit completely dry in a couple of hours.

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
rAdelaide AU
Not sure if this thread will appreciate or hate this, but I picked up one of these hanger dryers last winter and it is kind of amazing. Winter 5/4 suit completely dry in a couple of hours.
That looks good - bookmarked thanks.

If you don’t hang your wettie on the hanger dryer from the side mirror of your Sprinter van whilst powered by a solar array on the roof and driving down the highway you should be right :p. Hehe... then again - this thread is weird.