Wetsuits hanging from the side mirror

Joaquin

Aug 19, 2020
Oceanside, CA
After seeing wet wetsuits hanging from each side mirror of a tricked-out, brand new Sprinter coming back from a session this morning, I was reminded of how mystified I am at this practice. The reasons I can think of for dripping corrosive water down the side of your fancy ride include:

- You are allergic to the plastic used in $15 Rubbermaid tubs
- You live in an apartment with no horizontal surfaces and the side mirror is the only place available to dry out your suit
- You are really excited to show the world that you surfed today

Can someone help me understand why anyone would need to do this?

SdSurferguy

Oct 18, 2006
USA
Airflow + sun helps it dry quicker if you're doing a double session? I think it used to be a signal to other surfers heading the other direction too. You'd give a thumbs up/down to rate the swell to guys with boards heading to the beach. Or maybe I'm just making sh*t up idk I've never done it, I've always left it balled up in the trunk like a goober.

What you're describing is a flex: "I drive a $150k van and I live west of I-5. I have purchased local status"

Last edited:

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Airflow + sun helps it dry quicker if you're doing a double session? I think it used to be a signal to other surfers heading the other direction too. You'd give a thumbs up/down to rate the swell to guys with boards heading the other direction. Or maybe I'm just making sh*t up idk I've never done it, I've always left it balled up in the trunk like a goober.

What you're describing is a flex: "I drive a $150k van and I live west of I-5. I have purchased local status"
this is why you are still one of my favorite humans in Southern California. As to the corrosion factor, last year I had a significant financial outlay to remove the rust from the roof of my Pilot and repaint because of salt water from boards up there over the years. Might have been augmented by driving in the rockies on winter roads with magnesium chloride to melt snow, but ocean salt water is the devil where metal is involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJR

oldsurftee

Mar 4, 2021
PT
It’s convenient for air drying.

Have never done this while in motion, but after a dawn patrol while at work why not? Living close enough to the beach exposes your car to salt corrosion at all times anyway.

I also have a shit can for a vehicle so there’s that.

moonstooth

Feb 22, 2014
San Diego
I do it all of the time, though not with a Sprinter. As to the rationale, by foregoing the plastic bin I (i) don't have to rinse the bin out, (iii) I do not have to smell my wetsuit while driving and (iii) I can carry all my beach stuff in one go from the car to garage (it used to take me two trips with the bin).

You should try it, maybe you'll like it.