Wetsuit....quiver? (Northeast folks)

JVRI

Nov 15, 2021
Rhode Island
I have a pile of fraying, holey, leaky wetsuits and need to invest in some new rubber. I'm not looking for brand recommendations but cuts and thicknesses. What works for all you NY/NJ/RI/MA folks throughout the year? Is it possible to just have only two? A winter/spring and summer/fall?

Thanks,
JVRI

JVRI

Nov 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Several 1-2mm tops
2mm long John
Spring shorty
3/2 full suit
4/3 full suit no hood
4/3 full suit hooded
5.5/4+ hooded winter suit
Heated top

Kind of like surfboards it’s all subjective
Basically where I am at now haha, hoping I can simplify so I don't have neoprene selection paralysis!

Eh_frame

Dec 31, 2020
Philly
I think you could get away with only a 3mm full, a hood vest, and hooded 5mm if you really want.

I have way too many wetsuits.

When you get a new suit I bet you will be amazed how much warmer it is than your old holey ones.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
2mm short leg late may to October
3/2 for a week
4/3mm Novish to Janish
5/4mm Janish to late March
4/3 for a few weeks

Spiral Bee

Mar 4, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
I surf New England year round and have a bit of a wetsuit quiver : 5 mil hooded , 4 mil hooded , 3 mil, detachable hood for the 3 mil, and 2 mil shortsleeved. I also have thermal top and shorts to supplement any of the above.

That said, I honestly think I would be fine with just the 5, the 3, and the detachable hood. Plus a pair of winter mittens and booties. This spring I went straight from the 5 to the 3. The 4 and the 2 are nice to have, but feel a bit like first world indulgences tbh.