weight works

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Weight can be nice. Light can be nice, too -- usually after I've been carrying weighty boards for a while, it always feels like a treat to carry something short and light for a change. I also think it depends on the wave for me. A heavier board can psych me out a bit as it gets bigger or dumpier.

Has anyone else ever seen a thread (not realizing that it was an old one revived from the dead), formulate a response in your head, and then see that you already replied to it with exactly the response that you were going to post? At least I'm consistent!

miscreant

May 20, 2016
Has anyone else ever seen a thread (not realizing that it was an old one revived from the dead), formulate a response in your head, and then see that you already replied to it with exactly the response that you were going to post? At least I'm consistent!
my Roger Hinds feels like a zip zanger after I've been ridding this one for a bit. I like my balsa board in waves of consequence. the weight feels connected to the water.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
You offered to let me ride it one day at SanO when we were hanging on the beach. I declined, as to be honest the board scared me to ride with its super flat rocker (none built into deck), it’s weight, and the fact that it didn’t have a leash connection. Absolutely beautiful board that I felt I’d have trouble with initially and was too afraid to lose it into the rocks.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
You offered to let me ride it one day at SanO when we were hanging on the beach. I declined, as to be honest the board scared me to ride with its super flat rocker (none built into deck), it’s weight, and the fact that it didn’t have a leash connection. Absolutely beautiful board that I felt I’d have trouble with initially and was too afraid to lose it into the rocks.
one day I was done surfing and coming into beach on a low tide day. I had the board wax down, and I was kind of gently getting pushed into the shore holding onto the board. I was kind of stretched across the bottom of the board, almost body surfing with the board under me, the rail facing the beach, fin facing the air. all of a sudden a shallow rock presents itself infront of me. my rail hits the rock. I get to the sand and inspect my rail. there was a piece of the barnacle the size of a shooter marble protruding out of the rail. the board practically broke the rock. I solar rez fixed that and a few other snackles before I got her back out there. I'm going to go get the thing properly freshened up eventually.

walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
wherever i am
way back when TTE & i were shooting boardfolio @ his house in SJ, i picked up one of his Junod noseriders. it was like trying to lift a car - no fucking joke. that board was glassed full 10oz volan (perhaps w/iso resin) & shaped from a Clark blank, either classic or regular density...can't remember now. i believe the length was around 10ft, as Ed liked them long. shit, my red 9'2" Hunt was probably 22lbs - again, 10oz volan top & bottom. i used to haul that thing up & down the 80' dune @ 4-mile all summer long. these days i opt for 6oz volan for a custom glass schedule. it provides just enough glide without begin pig heavy to transport.