Water safety - share your tips

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Sep 15, 2019.

1. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Learn to surf...on a hard board...
    Then you will really learn to respect
    ..the others, and the rules..
    Before you decide to paddleboard..

hankster and davey like this.
  2. Bummer Dude

Bummer Dude Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Ventura
    Have a permanent reminder to do this on my scalp. Boy, do head wounds bleed!

Chilly Willy likes this.
  3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    • Educate yourself on rip currents. Know how to identify them and how to get out of them if you're stuck in one. (And while you're at it, know how to use them to your advantage if you're surfing.)
    • +1 on covering your head when surfacing
    • Don't ditch your board or launch it off the wave
    On the last two points: I spotted a guy who kept doing this one session. He kept ditching his board, but he'd fall backwards and launch the board straight up the face of the wave. The lineup was packed and he kept doing it right in the middle of the pack. After a few times of him doing this in a row, I finally started paddling towards him to basically tell him to knock it off. At that moment, I saw him fling the board vertically up the face once again... except this time, it hit the end of the leash, fluttered in the air while the leash stretched like a rubber band, and rocketed the board straight back at him. POW! Right in the kisser. He wasn't covering his head or anything when he came up, so he took the business end of the tail right to the face. Jeez. He definitely wasn't alright. Ugh.

4. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    • Always always always cover your head when you go underwater/surfacing. You never know when a board could come crashing down out of the sky, or is floating above when you pop up.
    Tough lesson learned many years ago (not the sharpest knife...). Pray to God my hair lasts because if I have to ever shave my head it will be a horror show.

5. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    Well-timed thread with Humberto bringing 10-15 ft hurricane waves to the east coast in the next few days. Could be slightly hairy.

6. Mbaltazar

Mbaltazar Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Portugal
    I can't believe surfers can't swim... really??? I've seen guys in the lineup facing the beach and not the incoming waves, but hey, maybe they we're checking the parking lot or something... but not knowing how to swim??? F**k

To me the really basic stuff is:

- learn how to swim to save your OWN ass, just in case it's needed
    - learn to paddle and, most important, duck dive or turtle roll. The bunch of guys I see not being able to duck dive is unbelievable...
    - when falling don't dive head first, lay flat or feet first
    - when surfacing bring your hands above the head, just in case you get run over...
    - don't paddle through the peak
    - face the ocean to see the incoming waves, that's where the action comes from. The chicks on the beach you can check on the way to the car

7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Anybody do any breath-holding exercises?

8. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Oh and, I forgot about the time the "new guy" asked us, in all seriousness: ", , , , so, what do you do if the leash breaks, , , ,?" "Ummmmm, , , , swim."