Water safety - share your tips

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Sep 15, 2019.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Always an important subject for anyone working or recreating on/in the water. One thing that amazes me is how many surfers can't really swim anymore. Share your thoughts or tips on water safety, could maybe help somebody out there.

Here is a group that is doing great work in education. One of my coworkers is an instructor.
    https://www.bwrag.com/

2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Ya, you don't need to do no stinking swimming anymore, , , , ,!

But yes, it amazes me too about how "surfers" cannot automatically be considered to be "water men" anymore!

Easy for me to talk though. I grew up well before leashes and rode a 9'4" pop-out that weighed about 30 pounds. I was 5'10" and tipped the scales at about 120! But, , , , it was easy for me, I was an AAU swimmer and then on the high school team. Choppy, head-high, surf guaranteed that you would endlessly swim to shore and paddle back out.

Not too many years ago I/we ran into a "fitness nut" who was out with us. Oh sure, he could probably do 100 reps, etc., but he just plain sucked "in the water". I'm pretty sure that, without a leash, he would have a 50/50 chance of drowning!!!! LOL

3. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Paddle buddy....
    don’t dive headfirst
    If you see someone having a hard time paddling out maybe keep a eye on them. I believe not making it out is a sign they shouldn’t be out there anyway but just in case.

Dawnpatrol and dingpatch like this.
  4. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't teach your kid how to surf in the middle of the pack. Don't paddle out through the lineup if you don't know what you are doing. Be aware of what is going on all around you. These are things that I saw this morning...

5. HerbB

HerbB Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Get out before you’re too tired. Know when to call it a day, before shtf.

Most times it doesn’t matter and you just go in when you exhausted. But, there will be a time when you should have went in already.

hankster likes this.
  6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Great thread Don. Over the years I've pulled out two kids who got out to the lineup on the rip, took off and lost their boards (leash broke) and I got 'em in on my board and on to the beach safely. They could barely dog-paddle let alone swim but they were out there trying to surf! And yes, I make it a practice to keep my eye out for folks out there having "water issues" e.g., getting pulled out by a rip they cannot get out of. To this end, I spent a couple of weeks getting my Red Cross Life Guard re-certification just to keep up to date and my confidence up in saving a life if needed. BTW, don't paddle out unless you can swim to the beach sans board. Recognize your limit and the ocean conditions that are present.

dingpatch and Gretsch like this.
  7. tc96707

tc96707 Member

Feb 3, 2016
    USA Hawaii
    I buy a new leash every year or 2.

Gallery and deemce like this.
  8. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    • Always always always cover your head when you go underwater/surfacing. You never know when a board could come crashing down out of the sky, or is floating above when you pop up.
    • Study the surf/lineup/conditions before paddling out.
    • Fall flat whenever possible.
    • Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Who's in front of you, to the side, and behind. Even during those long lulls stay alert.
    • If you can't make it out on a big day you shouldn't be out there.
    • If you see beginners making unsafe decisions be polite but blunt with advice.
    • If you are wearing a leash know how to rip it off quickly with your eyes closed (on the ankle and on the board)
    • Red right return.
    • Let go of the tow rope

9. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
  10. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    the leash ruined swimming. and surfing.

davey and dingpatch like this.