Wanted: Tyler Riddler

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by harboursurfer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. njrider

njrider Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    Dirk Calloway wrote:
    Dirk, While I think you make a great point about performance with a classic 60's feel, I think you're way off...the Joker was on a Cat and we all know how those rode!

Keep tryin...you'll get it.

2. njrider

njrider Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2006
    USA New Jersey
  3. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Active Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    respectthepeck wrote:
    Wow RP, took the words right out of my mouth. Good comparison.

The Is Is reasoning: At the time I designed it there was a good buzz going on the CJ model. I watched J.Phillips map out one of CJ's personal boards for the Paul Frank/Creme show Stilettos (witch I believe later became the SWT). This was the actual inspiration, not the others mentioned. The goal was to one up it (no disrespect, just a personal challenge). The ingredients were, HUGE nose, HUGE waist and normal tail??? I wanted it to turn, there is only one remedy, to put a bump in the waist (a concept that dates way back, the 422 was not the only one). The only thing left to the design was the nose. A 20+" nose looks like a trash-can lid, there is no beauty to it. Cut off the round end and you have a pretty good looking nose (also inspired by the Stretch G&S). It's also a great handle for your toes to grab on. Throw in the rail, bottom, tail, and HUGE concave and it IS IS.

I like to surf progressively. I also have deep roots in classic style. That is the blend of my boards. Things that work with classic style. Ironically, the most current of my personal Is Is's is a swallow tail. Ironic because, the more I tweak this model, the more it looks like a guy's boards that I've never drawn inspiration from. Ben Aipa. He's been on to something....

4. dewey

dewey Member

Feb 16, 2004
    St George, Ut
    And yet another take on the blunt nose.

"The new Bing Resurrection"

It's in new boards at Icon's

www.iconsofsurf.com

dewey:cool:

5. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Yo, I know you said, "I believe" but I thought I'd chime in on this overly diluted thread: The board that Jim shaped for Robbie was not turned into the SWT. The SWT was born from a board he did in the mid to late 60's, some of the wide boards he developed with Velzy, and my nonstop prodding to have a big f'ing nosed, nose rider. Although I think doing the Stiletto for Robbie actually helped my plea a bit.

There are a ton of trash can lid nosed boards out there but one thing is for certain, the 20" nose of the SWT is no trash can lid – it’s not easy to do that’s why they call him the Genius.

Side note: The reason I had to keep after Jim was simply because he's always been against big nosed boards for nose riding (there's an issue of Longboard Mag from around '96 where he discusses this) but as long as the intention was clearly stated as “for small waves” then he'd be game. So he built a few, created the name and people are in love. As a matter of fact there are some that really enjoy the way the board performs in bigger surf.

Great shapers/innovators find inspiration where they can which motivates them to create. We live in a world of mass production but everyday shapers create something unique, beautiful and purposeful. A “one-size-fits-all” mindset prevails for just about everything today but not with surfboards - and the same goes for surfboards that have "similar" outlines; Is Is, 422 and Riddler. I mean come on if you use the similar outline argument then pretty much every board out there without wings and a blunt nose is the same. Well that is true for white board black label shortboards :p

Pick which one you like and surf the snot out of it.

Back to Riddler, Is Is, and 422 talk. Hmmm maybe this will inspire Jim to shape a board like the 422 that he used to do for Dale...

6. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    harboursurfer wrote:
    No! Not at Rincon! Do it at Malibu. :) Please do it at Malibu. Just kidding! Do it anywhere you want of course.

Surfore did Jim develop the Stiletto shape? Or base a plug based on what Robbie and CJ wanted. I actually came up with the name for the Stilletto, still have never ridden one though. :)

7. creoque?

creoque? New Member

May 15, 2007
    surfore wrote:
    HaHA!

They're all like that what's new.;) there's nothing new about that. Oh and p.s. most people who think white board black label shortboards are all the same have never ridden one or can't ride one.....Those boards are also fun and have their place.:shock::p

But, yes you should pick the ones you like and surf the snot out of them!:cool::cool::cool:

8. pierpont-scott

pierpont-scott New Member

May 11, 2006
    surfore wrote:
    Surf-golfer, Hope you didn't think I was throwing J.P. in the trash can.:D Maybe the one he was looking at or.....

Attached files
    [​IMG]

9. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Active Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    Sorry, I have the tendency to jump on the F.F.F. computer without logging out the last user:shock::shock: Ooops.

10. ranyehushua

ranyehushua New Member

Nov 24, 2005
    aslbuck wrote:
    no your not kidding... haha, truthfuly i think malibu wouldnt be a good challenge, they would probably all perform awesome out there, rincon is more high performance and takes a bit more competence to ride but its still too perfect of a wave to judge these boards on... we should paddle out with them on a crappy day at la jolla shores, thats the true test... Im down