Vissla wetsuit feedback

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Salinity, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Anyone wearing a chest zip Vissla? Curious if the are notoriously hard to get in and out of.

I picked up a 5/4 and it seems to fit well once on, but it’s is a b/t@h to get in and out of compared to other chest zips I’ve owned. I’m dealing with a bum shoulder, so that certainly exacerbates the issue and I’ve only had it wet once, but damn if it isn’t a Houdini trick to don and doff.

2. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    Recently bought a 4/3 Vissla chest zip. Seems about par for the course to me - a pain to get in and out of but not impossible. Tho I haven’t owned that many chest zips for this very reason. In my experience the difficulty goes up with the thickness of the suit so I don’t doubt a 5/4 would be worse.

3. Bodhi

Bodhi Active Member

Aug 6, 2018
    RI
    I bought a 5/4 last year and the seams are already splitting. My son also bought one and the same, I would spend a little more for a quality suit.

4. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    I have a chest zip 3/2 that’s great - and a chest zip hooded 4/3 that flushes like crazy. Pretty standard to get into. Pretty comfy less the flushing.

5. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I’ve had a couple of Vissla suits and sold them for years. I consider their rubber middle of the road as far as stretch and durability, and found them more difficult then others to get in and out of. They are a good suit for the money, but I prefer to spend a little more and get a more quality suit.

WesCantDress and hankster like this.
  6. TheEL

TheEL Member

Jun 5, 2014
    In your opinion who makes a quality suit?

7. Salinity

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Seems my experience is about right then - hopefully it wears in just a bit to allow me to get in and out without dislocating my other shoulder.

The other mid-range suits I was looking into (O’Neil hyper freak, etc) weren’t available in my size (LS), so I figured I’d try this one, which was a full $120 less than other mid range suits. I seem to be only getting 2 seasons out of my 5/4s of late and the second season is always after sending in for some sort of warranty repair - so spending $400-500 was hard to justify (unless they do end up lasting way longer - not sure about this). Thats also why I waited until this late to grab one - so I can wear it out as much as possible still under warranty). But selection was pretty sparse. Guess I’ll see how it holds up.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  8. Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    For a good off the rack suit, I like O’Neill. I really like their Technobutter rubber. I’ve had other top end niche type wetsuits with better Yamamoto rubber that fit great and were more comfortable, but in my opinion you give up too much durability. The O’Neill suits offer the best compromise of fit, comfort, and durability.

9. Salinity

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Durability - this is what's hanging me up lately. My first wetsuit - a 3/2 Rip Curl lasted nearly 10 years. Now, I'm splitting seams, wearing out weird spots above the knee patch etc after a season or two. Are the higher end suits really more durable, or just more comfortable / stretchy? If I could get 4-5 seasons out of a $500 suit, it's a better bet than 2 seasons out of a $300 suit.

10. Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    The newer suits aren’t nearly as durable as the older suits. Durability has been traded for stretch, comfort and fit.