Virginia Beach, July 7, 2016

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Basenji703, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
  2. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    small waves big fun. Thanks for posting!

3. poidog

poidog Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Maryland
  4. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Are those guys wearing white shirts over wetsuits? Never understood the trunks and rash guards over a fullsuit. Is there some utility?

5. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    yea, I wear a white rash guard over a very thin O'Neil long john. i wear the long john with added extra padding for the knees, as knee paddling is better for my back and my knees are getting pretty old and worn out. I like the rash guard to tie my ball cap to as my face is pretty much toast after many years in the tropics. At 63 I wear what i want while surfing and do not give a fuck if seen as uncool. My Phillips Pig sure has been fun in the tinny clean waves as of late. Thanks for posting the video Basenji703

6. SharkB8

SharkB8 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Think I was around the 28-30 second mark and I'm pretty sure basenji was paddling back out around 1:30. Hard to miss his bright board. Think I might find me a neon rash to look for my slow motion seizure look I call surfing. I wear a white top sometimes just to keep the sun off. Roadmaster kills it on that pig. I would not care if I wore 3 rashgaurds on top if I could surf like him.For such a aggressive spot the early morning crew are some of the best people in the water. That was one of many small days of summer I will not forget.

7. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I agree SharkB8, A fun morning crew, a nice mix of young and old. mostly long boarders with a few short boarders in the mix. Seems like everyone gets along and I personally try to be mindful of not taking too many waves. I give up some rights and go left, because I like the lefts and the wave gets ridden in both directions. I like to see waves get well used with peaks ridden both right and left. I ride the wave as far as possible even if I am hardly moving, old school surfing; catch a wave and ride it to the bitter end. No kicking out after the ridding just best part and getting back into the lineup too soon.

8. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    here is a surfcam screen shot I like of Virginia Beach. It is a bitter cold winter day and very early pre dawn, tide is almost too high with the hopper dredge working the inlet. That is me turning to catch the maybe breaking wave. the only other person who bothered to go out this day was Wendy, possibly the most dedicated dawn patroller I have ever had the pleasure of surfing with, she is now enjoying life on the outer banks of NC.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

9. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    SharkB8 wrote:
    Actually I think it was Ken. I think I was out of the water by then. It was really a fun day.

10. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Roadmaster wrote:
    I really like days like this. the wave riding is almost not even the point. just sitting peacefully in the water