Vintage restored boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JMAC, Apr 27, 2020.

1. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    This is the box that was in the board. Pic from KP 4E2C30D8-0080-4838-8235-1BDF3E2194B7.jpeg 14473B28-6A19-41C7-A6BB-185AB158B465.jpeg D4B56C83-7E27-4C44-8619-1980C3DBD2C6.jpeg

Basenji703 likes this.
  2. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California

3. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Active Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    I bought this Hobie at StarSurf in the 90’s, it had cream yellow panels everywhere but the steinger. While I was working at Cooperfish I had Jeff rough out the board so I could repair damage. I fixed all the dings and applied 4oz to the entire board. That gave me a solid base to sand everything ultra flat. As it was on a rack ready for gloss I was ready to put colored panels back on it and Gene convinced me to just use clear gloss. It told so many stories that I should keep it original. The board is a 1957 hobie, it is pre foil hot stamp on balsa stringer. It’s ultra flat and perfect, maybe too restored.

Attached Files:

Zzz, Roach, SeniorGrom and 5 others like this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    exactly what that fine old vet deserved...and that fin!

BoardDesign likes this.
  5. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    "Where's the integrity"?

There's no integrity when the original design is altered versus restored to it's "close as when new" condition possible. I used to have a near, non intentional monopoly on repairs in the Santa Barbara area from the early 80's to 1990.

During that time, nearly all the other shops that made boards didn't hesitate sending repairs to me. They said they didn't want to bother with waxed repairs contaminating their racks slated for new board production, and worse still was boards with tar, which around summer time is a reality in SB. Those referrals eventually led to people bringing me collector boards for restoration. One interesting one was a balsa board that had a door knob that had been built into a wall then was extracted.

Reputable restorers, like Randy Rarick come to mind when checking out who does an extraordinary job of restorations on boards with restoration. Few people remember RR as a very capable shaper, which helps in the process of major restorations. You also need to have been in the game long enough to remember what the original boards looked like, and/or be willing to research and contact creditable sources to confirm what was right when the board was built.

Counterfeits are a real thing. I remember a Los Angeles sting operation finally catching a guy red handed that was making and selling fake Greg Noll "Da Cats" for a lot of money. Even then, the work was said to be superb, the guy was highly skilled at making boards, but some small detail wasn't right when they asked Greg, and that resulted in the guy finally getting busted.

One last funny note on this kind of stuff. Back in the day when a bunch of us shapers had moved down the street from the original Yater factory on Gray Avenue. Clyde Beatty had taken over the old shop and Renny, Lauren, myself, Brom, McClellan, Wayne (Rich), and Max MacDonald all had our respective shaping rooms in a quonset hut a block down the street on Yanonali.

I had shaped a classic type longboard blank and had it sitting outside upright for someone that wanted to take a foto of me for an interview or something. Renny walked by and said, "hope that guy gets on it, the new foam sure tans fast sitting out in the sun".

I replied, "hmmm, maybe we should have you shape & sign a few, a few with OLD serial numbers. I'll quietly take them home and "pre-tan them then glass them,. You can supply your old logos and then appraise them".

He laughed and said, "yeah $8,000 a pop".

We both just laughed. 75165_163277043711216_1670450_n.jpg

Roach, SeniorGrom, Surfnfish and 3 others like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    I wonder if that was part of those Hollow Wave boards that came out in the early seventies? It kind of has that vibe to it.

7. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    Yeah, I met(before the crime) the guy who built those copy cat "DA CATS". He was actually a damn good shaper in his own right. His big mistake was to try and pass it off as an original. I remember when that went down others in the industry said, "He did what a lot of us had been thinking about". The sad thing in my opinion is that I never liked those Da Cat boards ever. I had a couple that I had acquired over the years and I didn't like either of them. I got rid of them is short order, unfortunately before the prices shot up.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  8. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Spot on. I remember the story coming out. He built the entire board start to finish and did excellent work. He was careful in how he advertised them so as not to pop up on the radar with too many all at once.

My understanding about Da Cat and how that came about is only partly from 'the horse's mouth' (Renny). Renny told me his original idea was to "reduce swing weight" for a board. It wasn't about the nose flexing, and he told me recently "maybe some did, but with the heavy glass I can't imagine mine did". I DO recall that guys could order Slight, Regular, or Heavy Steps in them. The standard issue was the wedged stringers that Yater is known for, but I had at least one friend who got a lighter glass job with an eighth inch stringer, which was considered pretty daring. The Spoon I had seemed to have lift in the nose from being thinner up there. My buddy, Roland and I were both devout Spoon guys, where our friend Henri Pepin, bought a Nuuhiwa Noserider from Bing.

Henri had me try his board one shoulder high day at Deveraux Point, and I remember telling him "I hate how this thing noserides,, it's a real slug".

Upon hearing that, Henri, the temperamental Frenchman, I could almost see flames coming out of his ears.

Renny told me Dora had tossed around the idea of a deal with him riding the Spoons. When Sally, Renny's wife (rip) heard about it, she said something along the lines of "you've got to be kidding...you would be out of your mind". Shortly after that Dora cozied up with Greg Noll and they changed the step and fin and some other things so as not to be a completely blatant rip off of the design. I never liked Da Cat models. I thought Rich (Harbour) did a great job with "The Cheater", but being born & raised in Santa Barbara, I wasn't about to go by a Harbour.

The last tidbit that most people don't know, is that "Ike" (John Eichert) shaped the lion's share of Spoons for Yater at one time or another. The story goes that Renny was heavily into his lobster fishing during that period, and Eichert, at least in my opinion, is one of the most forgotten under rated SB shapers of all time. It was John that shaped Greenough's first Spoon (speaking of spoons). IKE.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  9. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    How is the flex on those HDPE fins? Our 1/2" kitchen cutting boards seem a bit too flexy. But maybe 3/4 or 1" would be stiff enough to make a good fin.

10. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    SAYS WAVE SET in the bottom right?
    Karl Pope could probably date it. I was thinking pre 1970 but can't be sure.
    The other variable WAVE sets had tabs front and rear with screws that fastened to sliders that moved along an inner track - think aluminum. I recall traveling thru Hermosa or thereabouts and buying a Becker shaped 7'3" Round Pin team board for something like $75. In perfect condition. On the way home the windswell was up and I hit Tanks, a beach break between Ventura & a bit south of Stanley's (our other go to spot).

There were sets about a foot overhead, and the lefts were cranking for us screwfoots. I dropped into an outsider, was flying along to the inside, then dropped to the bottom for a big turn and...........SNAP!................ FULL SPIN OUT AS THE TABS SNAPPED OFF CLEAN AS A WHISTLE.

So much for my Rick Team Model High Performance score.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Surfnfish, Roach and SeniorGrom like this.