Vintage restored boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JMAC, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    Very nice! I wish I had a c note for everyone one of those old propylene TRAF fins that I have replaced over the years. I'd have some serious money. Your project reminds me of a Weber Professional that I had that required a similar repair. Unfortunately, I am not a shaper so I had to call in my buddy to do the foam work as that board had a flat bottom nose and down rails north of the step. It came out pretty good. We colored over the new foam in order to disguise the repair a little better. It had a paisley print deck and we blended the color to match the print. They remind me of art projects in a way.

Basenji703 likes this.
  2. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    B84DCA78-5728-404C-839C-DB7DC7B99DFD.jpeg 0127EE1A-7918-4863-9955-5AD51E9E4DF8.jpeg C7B1E42E-4B23-42FA-87F3-3619897822A2.jpeg F05B6BC6-D66B-4DDA-BEC8-390C1EA7B2F2.jpeg 129F93C2-115A-4774-97F4-0DBA19E143E8.jpeg 7487A12F-6F98-47B0-A3A3-2B5DFF183143.jpeg 0AF84870-775C-4E63-B27F-AB2CD6169C28.jpeg
    Got it all squared away on the Model A, new nose, corners of tail, zillion rail ding/shatters, removed snapped polypro and made replacement fiberglass fin that can be removed from the original glass box.

3. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
  4. Tlri

Tlri Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    I had a rudimentary at best knowledge of glass work from years working in boat yards and delivering boats. Looking at this is awesome. Love seeing the work you guys do, hope that some day I’ll be able to take the time to learn at least a part of the shaping/glassing craft
    For now I’ll keep plugging away at work and trying to keep my head above water. Living vicariously through your pictures and descriptions any trying to learn how to ride these things much less shape them.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    That is about the best salvage/restoration I have probably ever seen. It take a lot to keep focused on a project like this. Most folks probably don't know, but you could probably build a new board with less effort to do something like this. It take determination and attention to detail to pull this off.

SeniorGrom, deemce and shadydave like this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    No master craftsman here just an interest in old boards and helping enthusiastic surfers. This 7'1" early 70s Jim Phillips came to me with a funky bondo farm-fixed exploded Wave Set box and many nose, tail, and rail dings. The owner is hoping to surf it again soon!

JP Revival 1.JPG JP Revival 2.JPG JP Revival 3.JPG JP Revival 4.JPG JP Revival 5.JPG JP Revival 6.JPG JP Revival 7.JPG JP Revival 8.JPG

deemce and DJR like this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    That board is still in pretty good shape. I remember the WaveSet boxes well. However, was that slotted part where that fin slipped into a separate attachment? That is where my memory gets a little foggy. WaveSets had those 2 allen wrench screws and I kind or remember that slotted fins system as one of the first adjustable fins came around. I kind of remember a wedge thing that kept those fins in place. That was just prior to the adjustable box we know today.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    First time I ever saw this notched set up from WaveSet. After shady my go to researcher reached out we found that both Kirk Putnam and Jim Phillips had seen it. There was a Variable WaveSet insert that’s more common with a 2 screw plate that could be slid back and forth & locked in place. Prior to this one the only notched system I had seen was called “guidance”. On both the fin was pushed down in the desired place then knocked to the rear with your palm or rubber mallet to lock in place. Little spacer clips could be put in front and rear to fill the void.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Sax-son likes this.
  9. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    The box you are thinking about was called the Variable Waveset. Those worked well if you got one of the black glass filled fins, which had a thicker tab where the screws went in. The clear polycarbonate fins had a flat tab less than 1/8" thick and those broke easily. I broke one of those fins hitting a thick ball of kelp.

Attached Files:

Sax-son likes this.
  10. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    After the Variable Waveset, they came out with the Waveset II fin box, like the one SeniorGrom is working on. It had these little teeth, kind of like the Guidance Fin System that was out around the same time. I've seen a few boards with the Waveset II box, but they all had solid fins. Never have seen a hollow fin like the one in the Waveset ad.

Attached Files:

Backyard B, Sax-son and SeniorGrom like this.