Vintage restored boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JMAC, Apr 27, 2020.

1. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what people think about vintage restored boards?

I had a bad experience personally in a purchase a few years ago from an auction. Recently saw someone post a board to a Facebook group of a restored Phil Edwards. Logo looked like it was printed in a piece of paper and laminated on. Posed the question to someone at Hobie and they passed it onto Phil. He said absolutely not one of his boards. He was insistent on using a foil logo that fit between the stringers so it didn’t cover up the wood. In the restoration process the fin was also changed from what looked like a swept back Brewer style fin to the original ash reverse D fin...and a PE foil logo was added in the process.

restored boards look beautiful. My biggest problem is when you take something and turn it into something else that would ordinarily be more valuable. Slap a pair of Skips wings on a board, writing Lopez on a lightning bolt.

Where’s the integrity?

Attached Files:

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  2. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Interesting topic - kind of reminds me of that fake Lis thing with Bird's Surf Shed a few months back, though it did turn out to be a Lis ironically.

Additions after the fact of any kind are like car modifications and polished vintage watches to me - probably cool to the current owner but 1) you'll never see a return on investment and 2) you're hampering whatever provenance a board could/would have.

Dishonesty in restoration feels like a different moral conundrum entirely, and is as reprehensible as selling a redialed Rolex as an original. It's really cool that Phil chimed in on the above board; if surfing had more gatekeepers of authenticity the way that the watch world does, I wonder if the vintage surfboard community would be a different place.

DJR, BrazilButtNut and JMAC like this.
  3. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    What was the fake Lis thing? I must’ve missed that one

4. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    It's a surfboard listed on a FB group, not a Monet at Sothebys. IMO many surfers have always lacked integrity. It was decided on a different thread that Phil was using ghost shapers. Does that also lack integrity or is that okay? IMO the onus is on the collector to do research before purchasing, especially if you're buying from a Facebook group, CL, etc. But then again I've never understood the idea of purchasing surfboards at auction.

BrazilButtNut, PeakMaster and nedsurf like this.
  5. SdSurferguy

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
  6. SdSurferguy

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Tenfooter and Backyard B like this.
  7. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Jesse in the automotive world that would be a clone and should have been represented as one. For me vintage boards or vintage anything they are only original once.

kpd73 likes this.
  8. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    My first choice is to fix the dings as best you can and then ride it. Or hang it if that is your thing. However, I have had three boards go through a full restoration. All three were in what I would consider 1 out of 10 condition. If not for their historical significance, they would have gone in the dumpster. I didn't have them restored to try and make a profit. I just thought they should be saved. I sold one at a loss, made a little money on another, and kept one.

9. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    As someone who does quite a bit of restoration/refurbish work I look at it as saving something that once was and making it into something that is. My goal for most boards is to get to a level of stability with the board and getting it a true to the original board as possible. On some this may mean grinding down the hotcoat to the weave, filling dings, & applying a new hotcoat.

I like the challenge of some boards and have done a few glass of restorations. Most have been for personal boards that I own and the way I look at it, I took something destined for a landfill and gave it new life. I try to keep these as true to original shape as possible I know some of the bigger guys will shape the board down to get the foam looking cleaner. In the end if I went to sell it I would definitely be looking to get my time & materials out of the board if I could. But wouldn't pass it off as original or anything like that. I also try to take pictures along the way of the resto process so people know what the board looked like before, what was done, so they know fully about the board.

In the end it's all comes down to what someone is looking for. I don't agree that boards should increase in value over an original for being restored. There is definitely a small group of individuals that try to keep the prices of these boards prop'd up to keep the resto market at a premium because honestly there just aren't as many clean original boards available for sale.

10. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

Just want to say that it wasn’t listed for sale. Simply somebody showing their trophy restoration by the what most consider the best in that field. That board will eventually be sold as restored to original condition with that persons name backing it up and people just assume it was a true original Phil to begin with.

I personally don’t have a problem with ghost shaping, computer shaping etc. Now if they are specifically telling customers they are all handshaped by a certain person then yes that lacks integrity.