Vaquero vs Vaquero Edge...

el_germanito

Dec 24, 2021
San Francisco
Hi all, I am curious to hear from people who have been able to compare how a stock Vaquero performs vs a Vaquero Edge. Doesn't even have to be the Vaquero if people have tried edge vs stock versions of other Andreini models, I'd love to hear about that as well. Just wanting to hear from people who have ridden both, can compare, and have any recommendations on when to go with stock vs edge. Thanks!

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
A few things to keep in mind on this one because edge boards can really very from model to model and shaper to shaper. Since you titled this thread stock Vaquero bottom vs the edge bottom are two completely different bottoms in general. I personally have never ridden a Vaquero from Andreani but I did ride a outlier in 8 foot by CJ. Which is pretty much a Vaquero but obviously a much different construction. I have had a Vaquero edge and have had a few other edge boards. To be honest both boards have their place in surfing. But if your waves are lined up and maybe you don't surf in a lot of wind maybe the edge is not necessary. Keep in mind the edge adds almost another layer of board which can help in times of trim, drive and paddling but makes it slightly awkward to turn. But here is where it gets interesting and this is where you may want to talk to a shaper about what your looking for. I have seen edge boards that have another 1.5 inches of edge and I have seen some that have .5 inches of edge. In my experience personally less edge is better for the waves I get. The edge helps with surfing "shitty" waves and paddling into wind chop where a "hull" bottom may not work. But too much in my experience makes everything feel super weird. You have to baby turns and also since you are on less width then normal on plane little adjustments get exaggerated and sometimes buck you off the board. But again in a not great wave they have their place. I don't love to exploit my channel but I suppose in this case thats what it is for. This is a Anderson edge board which their isn't a stock model. but I do tell you some of the + and - of edge boards. I hope this helps.

MeatHeadDeath

Mar 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
100% agree with @Hodaddy81 about paddling, planning, and nursing the turns

A few things to keep in mind on this one because edge boards can really very from model to model and shaper to shaper. Since you titled this thread stock Vaquero bottom vs the edge bottom are two completely different bottoms in general. I personally have never ridden a Vaquero from Andreani but I did ride a outlier in 8 foot by CJ. Which is pretty much a Vaquero but obviously a much different construction. I have had a Vaquero edge and have had a few other edge boards. To be honest both boards have their place in surfing. But if your waves are lined up and maybe you don't surf in a lot of wind maybe the edge is not necessary. Keep in mind the edge adds almost another layer of board which can help in times of trim, drive and paddling but makes it slightly awkward to turn. But here is where it gets interesting and this is where you may want to talk to a shaper about what your looking for. I have seen edge boards that have another 1.5 inches of edge and I have seen some that have .5 inches of edge. In my experience personally less edge is better for the waves I get. The edge helps with surfing "shitty" waves and paddling into wind chop where a "hull" bottom may not work. But too much in my experience makes everything feel super weird. You have to baby turns and also since you are on less width then normal on plane little adjustments get exaggerated and sometimes buck you off the board. But again in a not great wave they have their place. I don't love to exploit my channel but I suppose in this case thats what it is for. This is a Anderson edge board which their isn't a stock model. but I do tell you some of the + and - of edge boards. I hope this helps.

eggrider

Feb 25, 2020
Bay Area
Check out the Andreini Stoke thread and the Edge board thread. Many ride reports and comparisons in those.

By the way, there seems to be a clear split. Some people really like the edge bottoms. Some people really don't like it that much. Thinking of putting an edge in my upcoming order when my number's ever called.

NateB

Jul 28, 2020
Laguna beach
I see no downside to edge at all, especially in Southern California in clean and crap waves. the only caveat is take Marcs finning recommendation with a grain of salt. Marc is a genius, there's no doubt about it, but if you want to push through turns, and not worry about babying them then you need to move away from the toothpick/powerblade theory. I understand when it were talking about getting the max speed out of these boards this might be the obvious choice, especially at places like Malibu and Rincon where you can just run, and you don't need to cutback into the pocket, but these boards are really fast. throwing in a slightly bigger/basier fin is not going to sacrifice as much of that speed as you might think, and youre going to be able to push the board alot harder.

[email protected]

Dec 18, 2020
North California
I see no downside to edge at all, especially in Southern California in clean and crap waves. the only caveat is take Marcs finning recommendation with a grain of salt. Marc is a genius, there's no doubt about it, but if you want to push through turns, and not worry about babying them then you need to move away from the toothpick/powerblade theory. I understand when it were talking about getting the max speed out of these boards this might be the obvious choice, especially at places like Malibu and Rincon where you can just run, and you don't need to cutback into the pocket, but these boards are really fast. throwing in a slightly bigger/basier fin is not going to sacrifice as much of that speed as you might think, and youre going to be able to push the board alot harder.
you’re right about having to nurse the toothpick fin a bit, but I disagree with the power blade. I’ve been riding a 7’2” edge vaquero with a power blade (both found here…thank you jamboards!) in waves around belly high to around 2-3Xoverhead and never felt like I had to nurse the power blade.

I also put the power blade in 7’2” rebowls. I’ve ridden the rebowls with a 7.5” 4a heaps of times and I’m very familiar with how that setup rides. when I put the power blade on I could instantly feel the extra resistance, push, hold,etc. of the fin minus the added drag that is usually associated with those feelings. You can really push on a power blade and still have the benefits of a narrow base fin.

And no, I’m not saying the power blade surfs just like a thruster ;)

MeatHeadDeath

Mar 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
I, too, have seen the Greenough high speed fin and power blade hold and turn in some steep and powerful surf.

What I mean by “nursing the turn” is my edge board does not like to be turned from the front foot (Weird, right? Especially, if you are use to riding some of Marc’s other boards) and if I am not careful the edge will act like a pivot point that spills me over onto the rail (what the heck is this extra slab of surfboard doing that was slapped onto my hull?).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
Way too easy to overfin an edgeboard with any other type than a power blade or hi speed Also when riding and digging those turns The board likes the rails to be set on take off or a deep ass bottom turn. The rails are hull DNA the bottom is whatever it is. Remember you are dealing with a hybrid bottom no matter if Andreini, Ellis, Greenough, Anderson et al so be conscious of the beautiful smooth nature bewteeen rail and whatever contours of bottom are there when coming out of or I suppose initiating turns Ive had more than a few and they just work. I found the one I keep and boom nice rolling dropins or steep ass sandbar I love it.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
Some great posts here. My 2 cents? Regardless of wave type (or size), if you can get get going down the line and you are a certain type of surfer looking to surf in a certain way, an Edge works great. The first wave I got on mine, it just clicked. But I just surf in a certain old school way (I want to go fast and make the wave , pretty passé, right?). I could see disappointment for a large number of surfers with an Edge board. But those aren't the surfers that would, for instance, order a board from Marc Anderini in the first place.