Vaquero Fin Position

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
Long time listener, first time caller. I literally joined JB just to ask this question and I know I came to the right place because there seems to be a healthy cult of convex and "Andreini stoke" community here. I got a 7'10" Vaquero from Marc last year and when I still lived in Santa Cruz and he told me, "this board is meant to be ridden with the fin in the middle of the box". And so it stayed until I moved to San Diego at the beginning of this year and I've been having trouble getting this board to feel right again. Using the 9.25" A-Flex that it came with. Obviously the waves are different but even when I can get to a wave a little more curvature things feel weird, namely more out of control. I liked turning from the middle but also being able to step and weight my back foot too without everything falling apart, which was the allure of the Vaquero as opposed to a more traditional hull as a goofy foot in Santa Cruz. Surfing mushy reef with the occasional speedy section and beach breaks these days down here. A lot of folks I've been asking like the fin more forward and taking a more forward stance as well. Tried that, not my favorite. Would be cool on a point break maybe. Dug through the forums but couldn't find a one stop shop for Vaquero fin positioning, sure some info scattered around. Forgive me if it exists, let's just call this a refresher then. I think I remember Bruce Fowler writing somewhere in reference to his V bottom boards to, against popular wisdom, to move the fin forward for more stability. Different craft, different shaper, foggy memory, maybe not relevant who knows.

Anyway I'm curious what opinions are out there and why! Show me what you've got JB Community!

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
What exactly is the weird out of control feeling that you're getting - Spinning out? Going too much on rail? Getting bucked? Sucked over the top?

For 1 + 2 I'd try another fin either longer A flex or the phd fin comes to mind as it's a bit stiffer.
For 3 +4 I'd try another board like the Serena or Special K....

Just .02c from someone that's never surfed the west coast.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
Try whatever longer or wider base fins you've got. If you can choose any, I'd try the 9.5 phd

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
I'm also curious what other Vaquero riders such as yourself prefer both in fin and positioning. Of course this is entirely subjective but we usually have our reasons.

eggrider

Feb 25, 2020
Bay Area
@Spence's advice here seems to work well for me --- fin more forward = engage front of board more, and vice versa:

andrew-

Apr 11, 2019
Ventura, CA
I'm also curious what other Vaquero riders such as yourself prefer both in fin and positioning. Of course this is entirely subjective but we usually have our reasons.
I like a 9.5” PhD jammed all the way to front of the box in my 7’8, or a 9.25” a flex bumped just a bit north of center.

lacaleb

Oct 11, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a 7’5 vaquero and have a 9.25 a flex that Marc recommended all the way pushed forward, I like it being a little looser. If I were you I’d try a 9.75 or 10 flex and see if that little extra length helps!

Spiral Bee

Mar 4, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
Dug through the forums but couldn't find a one stop shop for Vaquero fin positioning, sure some info scattered around. Forgive me if it exists, let's just call this a refresher then.
Your question has its own specificity so does not feel redundant at all, despite previous discussion on Vaq fins. And I'm interested as I'm waiting on an 8' Vaquero.