Used board market discussion

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
Just a footnote, but it makes me so happy when someone shows up and finds a nice board, and just hands cash at the asking price with a smile. Then the clouds part revealing double rainbows and the winds turn offshore.

I try to give others that experience when I'm buying too. Not always, but trying to more and more these days.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
What do you call somebody that takes old, beat up boards, fixes them, and then sells them for a profit, a flipper?
A fool, as I’ve been there and done that. When you figure out the time you spent shopping, the time you spent driving to and from to purchase, the money you spent for gas, the time you spent on repairs, the material you spent on repairs, and the time you spent trying to sell it, you’d have been better off collecting cans on the beach in the long run.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
A fool, as I’ve been there and done that. When you figure out the time you spent shopping, the time you spent driving to and from to purchase, the money you spent for gas, the time you spent on repairs, the material you spent on repairs, and the time you spent trying to sell it, you’d have been better off collecting cans on the beach in the long run.
A local shaper once told me he broke down his profit into an hourly wage & found he was paying himself about 7.50/ hour.
Definitely a labor of love.
Huge respect.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
What do you call somebody that takes old, beat up boards, fixes them, and then sells them for a profit, a flipper?
I believe that’s more of a resurrection style Sometimes Prophet for Profit Sometimes
like with old cars fix them and sell them hot rod sell them custom and sell them gives them new life gives someone the stoke
I like to hot rod old boards add the side bites or swallowtail or cut all the fins off and go FFFF. Rode most, some fell apart, sold a few to those who appreciate the boards in general...My buddy fixes as is and likes the scars but keeps boards stock and would just as soon cut off his foot than rip out a fin box
golly that’s a lot of blathering this evening huh?

Backyard B

Mar 10, 2020
Virginia Beach
Thanks for the reply. So, having been there and done that, what did you suggest would be a better way for me to use the skills I've learned?

Members online