Used board market discussion

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
8) Andreini vocalizes that surfboard craftsmanship is undervalued. His price increase may cause a ripple effect to other shapers who don't quite fall into the custom Christenson price bracket. See the wild Andreini movement over the last few weeks.

Completely agree with this. California shapers used to work to fund living in Mexico and travels but I think it's time to raise prices and charge a fair rate. Support your local shapers and glassers.

(I don't agree with the flippers who are making it into a business)
And bringing up CC is a great example - production boards priced for what others are/were pricing customs. has been for years.

Flip756

Mar 4, 2016
USA North Carolina
So what’s the difference between a flipper and a surf shop with an active buyer? Mollusk/boardsource? The only difference I see is that they advertise as a business which makes you assume they are doing it for a profit.

I don’t like flippers, especially the egregious examples but they are typically easier to spot. The longer the story the more obvious it is. Anytime I see a board with a generic long winded ride description, I tend to assume they have little to no experience on said craft.

It’s like when someone says “can I be honest/to be frank/can I be blunt” I automatically think “does this mean you’ve been blowing smoke up my ass with all the other things you’ve stated?”

Just some ramblings but we do live in a world that promotes buy low sell high.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
I do not think this will be a popular opinion on this thread but if you like a board & are willing to pay what the seller is asking, then buy it. If not, then don’t buy it.
If you are selling a board & the buyer is not willing to pay what you are asking, then don’t sell it them.
What am I missing here... no is a complete sentence.

Sbbcc

Dec 6, 2017
SB
I do not think this will be a popular opinion on this thread but if you like a board & are willing to pay what the seller is asking, then buy it. If not, then don’t buy it.
If you are selling a board & the buyer is not willing to pay what you are asking, then don’t sell it them.
What am I missing here... no is a complete sentence.

Seems reasonable to me.... Maybe people just like whining, thats my guess. Ive passed on plenty of boards I want because they are too expensive, thats life.

SDBoardHoarder

Sep 28, 2018
San Diego
The difference of the Boardsource and backyard flippers is he has a business license, and pays taxes that makes him a legitimate business. He also has rent and overhead. My dealings with them have been great.

Spot on. Business license, rent, employees to pay, payroll tax, etc, etc. etc. 20% markup keeps the lights on. Yes he started out as the same as some of the other jokers, but they seem to have no desire to cross into the 'legitimate business realm'. Also, if you think used boards are worth less than what people are asking, buy new and support your shaper directly, right? Market will balance itself back out, think about all the new customs being ordered right now causing 4-8 month wait times. A good portion of these will be re-sold by said buyers, likely after the 'used board bubble' has popped. Same thing goes for all other outdoor equipment... campers, vans, gear, etc. Going to be a helluva time to buy soon

Flip756

Mar 4, 2016
USA North Carolina
Agree with all of the above, none of us are forced to buy a surfboard if we don’t want it.

I appreciate someone trying to make an honest living but curious as to where people who despise flippers draw the line.

Because xyz human chose to grow his Craigslist hustle to a brick and mortar he’s no longer a flipper but an upstanding citizen?

Realistically, the only reason a small (single person) business grows is because you are doing something well enough/making enough money to justify paying someone to help you make more money, make it legit, pay taxes and fees, don’t go to jail.

I’m not on board with saying flippers are bad just because I assume they don’t file a 1099...

My ramblings are thoughts and questions, trying to understand why this is such a hot topic?

I appreciate a flipper being called out but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy a board I want just because the seller is a “flipper”...

***edit, username is in reference to my affinity for Flip skateboards and the Geoff Rowley, Rune Glifberg early days, comments were starting to feel ironic***

Last edited:

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
Agree with all of the above, none of us are forced to buy a surfboard if we don’t want it.

I appreciate someone trying to make an honest living but curious as to where people who despise flippers draw the line.

Because xyz human chose to grow his Craigslist hustle to a brick and mortar he’s no longer a flipper but an upstanding citizen?

Realistically, the only reason a small (single person) business grows is because you are doing something well enough/making enough money to justify paying someone to help you make more money, make it legit, pay taxes and fees, don’t go to jail.

I’m not on board with saying flippers are bad just because I assume they don’t file a 1099...

My ramblings are thoughts and questions, trying to understand why this is such a hot topic?

I appreciate a flipper being called out but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy a board I want just because the seller is a “flipper”...

***edit, username is in reference to my affinity for Flip skateboards and the Geoff Rowley, Rune Glifberg early days, comments were starting to feel ironic***

I'd say Cal is a great example - as @Armanthios can attest to, he hits up sellers and tells them the board will be for his "nine-year-old son" as a birthday gift (he very much does not have a nine-year-old), often drives the price down and then sells them same day for 3x-9x the amount of money with doctored photos to Covid newcomers (a whole other topic) who do not know any better.

Omar is just as guilty of bad business practices; he went from flipping designer sunglasses to flipping boards. Surfers are his target and his grift; he doesn't even surf unless it's in his neighbor's pool; if you want a chuckle you can read that shit HERE, it's a good laugh at how much of a kook he is. Or that time that he tried to unload another astronomically-priced Frye that was Michael Anderson's, attempted to trade Ken Lewis (a childhood friend and a fixture of the SD community) for some of his boards, and got called out for it.

IMG_9417.jpg

I draw the line at dishonesty and won't give those pieces of shit any money, simply. To @Ricksurfin's point, I will do business with Jon at Board Source for the opposite reason - he is always transparent, fair and actually cares about surfing (and does it quite well). Dig that guy.

(also stoked on your username reference, @Flip756, Sorry/Really Sorry will always be in the pantheon of video greats. Geoff is one of the best to ever do it!)

Armanthios

Nov 15, 2020
Irvine
I'd say Cal is a great example - as @Armanthios can attest to, he hits up sellers and tells them the board will be for his "nine-year-old son" as a birthday gift (he very much does not have a nine-year-old), often drives the price down and then sells them same day for 3x-9x the amount of money with doctored photos to Covid newcomers (a whole other topic) who do not know any better.

Omar is just as guilty of bad business practices; he went from flipping designer sunglasses to flipping boards. Surfers are his target and his grift; he doesn't even surf unless it's in his neighbor's pool; if you want a chuckle you can read that shit HERE, it's a good laugh at how much of a kook he is. Or that time that he tried to unload another astronomically-priced Frye that was Michael Anderson's, attempted to trade Ken Lewis (a childhood friend and a fixture of the SD community) for some of his boards, and got called out for it.

View attachment 27883

I draw the line at dishonesty and won't give those pieces of shit any money, simply. To @Ricksurfin's point, I will do business with Jon at Board Source for the opposite reason - he is always transparent, fair and actually cares about surfing (and does it quite well). Dig that guy.

(also stoked on your username reference, @Flip756, Sorry/Really Sorry will always be in the pantheon of video greats. Geoff is one of the best to ever do it!)
Dishonesty is exactly where the line should be drawn. That's why some of these sellers will never gain my respect and I've even blacklisted buyers from ever buying from me again for the same reasons.