Used board market discussion

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
I bet the used board prices will come down when gyms, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc open back up and people start selling all the boards they bought during covid. Unless all these new surfers are hooked.
Yup. Along with RVs, kayaks, sups, etc. I know my buying habits have changed and money I'd spend on trips is going towards other purchases.

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
I was fairly ambivalent towards the professional resellers, but I’ve changed my mind.

This board was for sale on Michaels Instagram recently, and judging by the comments, looked like it received a lot of attention. Today, what you know, showd up today on the surfboard collective, for an even greater flip price. I don’t have any skin in this game, but this dude is shameless. I would never give him business.
Rant over.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
If a used board is listed within 75% of the going rate of a new board, I will pass and take my chances with a new board. If I stumble across something I really like and it is in like new condition, I may go up to 80%. I rarely have ever bought a used board unless it was a classic and was a fantastic deal. I like a board just the way I want it and I rarely find that with used or "preowned" surfboards.

In 1967, a new surfboard cost between $140.00 and $155.00 depending on the model and the extras on it. When adjusted for inflation using the CPI calculator, that translates to around $1215.00 in todays money and that doesn't include sales tax. Not that far off on today's prices and perhaps lends credence that surfboards have been underpriced for years. Nobody likes spending anymore than you have to, but the marketplace dictates what something will sell for. It's just basic supply and demand economics. These are handcrafted items, and you can't just pop them out of a mold. If you want that, then wavestorm is your product.

bfat

Dec 20, 2018
Brooklyn/Maine
No criticisms here with either price, but huh?

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
Surfing makes me happy.
Having a skilled craftsman discuss the build, give me feedback on some of the nuances of the design based of their years of experience & then shaping me a custom surfboard is an experience. For me it’s not a transaction. It’s a learning experience. And for all those shapers out there that are constantly honing their skills & giving me the benefit of their years of experience, I’m hugely grateful.
Quality is worth it.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
The board prices for used are out of control as we've seen. Is it inflation? is it covid and people being out of work? demand driven?

I think its the pro flippers who are driving up the costs... board source, omar, etc in San Diego for example... but the retail shops are pushing $800-1000 out the door for new shortboards at this poiint with fins etc... where's the demand / price increase coming from? we are obviously seeing demand on here with the endless WTB listings...

wondering yalls thoughts...

is a hoot

Mar 12, 2020
Santa Cruz
8) Andreini vocalizes that surfboard craftsmanship is undervalued. His price increase may cause a ripple effect to other shapers who don't quite fall into the custom Christenson price bracket. See the wild Andreini movement over the last few weeks.

Completely agree with this. California shapers used to work to fund living in Mexico and travels but I think it's time to raise prices and charge a fair rate. Support your local shapers and glassers.

(I don't agree with the flippers who are making it into a business)