Tyler Riddler, IsIs

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Guest, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    NewportGeek wrote:
    I am my glasser. The sander we keep locked up and he lives on Monsters and Mexican food. Here he is with his invisible mask!

Attached files
    [​IMG]

2. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    Ohh God! Chicken Soup

No longer a concept the Blue Whale exists! (#1)

Long live the CaveMan!;)

3. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Zeph, I've made #3 too, but with the stinger & squash on my toe side and the heel side getting even more hip/ pig treatment...

unless you're goofy? Then yeah, #3's the sh!t

Stinger side can even use a smallish sidebite to nice effect ;)

Edit: Caveman = (attached photo - from Bolinas community bulletin board)

Attached files
    [​IMG]

4. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Ben,

""Concave" is something the shaper does to the blank, but the purpose is not the hollow itself. I think its more accurately thought of as a very thinly foiled nose with some thickness put back in along the rails for a little floatation, displacement, and control in the wave right along the edge of the board."

The most notable example of this I can think of is Harbour's channel design, which seems to have worked for his many fans. I don't think he refers to this as a concave at all. Anybody play with this on a non-Harbour template?

And a definition question about "blended" concaves. Would channels be the example of a non-bended one? Can someone provide a definition of blended cause they all seem to be "blended" to some extent. Is there an example of a non-blended concave out there?

Edit - somehow I wrote this without seeing the pics Zeph posted. Did he just answer my question?

5. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    Ned, Non blended would mean that the end of the concave has a hard defined edge (Bing DNNR). Blended is any soft transition to the belly of the board.

6. d123

d123 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    USA California
    BoardDesign - Those are some interesting looking concept boards. Please explain what you're trying to achieve for each design (pic).

7. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Active Member

Aug 2, 2004
    retroactive wrote:
    LMAO - classic...speaking of concaves, just wanted to give my 2 cents worth:

After riding Ed's Anderson for a while, realized I wasn't catching nearly as many waves as w/the 9'2" Hunt New Dimension. Comparing design differences between both, the Farberow's combination of a super thin rail profile, deep concave & extra nose rocker really did hinder me on take-off. Therefore, my wave count was about half of what it would normally be if surfing big red.

Seems like the Farberow was specifically designed for points & larger waves (read: Malibu). It didn't work very well in beach break or anything smaller than chest high. That being said, it's still a great board - just not the right one for Cape Cod surf conditions. So, to make a long story short, I sold it & got the red Hunt back.

Okay, please don't kill me guys...this was all a grand experiment f/the start.

In terms of concaves, I fully concur w/the pushing water observation. This has been my experience in owning everything f/a Tak Model T to a '66 SH Model A. If done right w/less of an extreme edge on the rail line & more gradually blending thru the hull, a concave can actually help stabilize a noserider template w/out turning it into a bulldozer.

Okay, BS design diatribe now concluded. :p:D

Thank you & goodnight.

WTP

8. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    "Seems like the Farberow was specifically designed for points & larger waves (read: Malibu). It didn't work very well in beach break or anything smaller than chest high. That being said, it's still a great board - just not the right one for Cape Cod surf conditions. So, to make a long story short, I sold it & got the red Hunt back."

I found the Farberow to be very limited in even slightly bigger surf up my way. Over chest/shoulder high and it felt squirrelly, especially on bottom turns.

9. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    Well, the asym is two of our crew's favorite boards. I love the Is Is and really like backside surfing with it. I also made ppscott a pintail that really worked good for me frontside. So, I put the two together hoping for a superboard. I haven't got to ride it (may never). The board is in S.D. at Surfindian gallery. Check it out.

The crazy longboard (1) is the "Blue Whale". If you looked at the guy on the video pps posted "The Caveman" you will see prior designs he came up with. I received a clay model from him to make the board. HIS idea is that no-mater where you are your riding a concave with a venturi. None of the concaves have a break point. Riding the bubble he calls it. Does it work?? Works for him. I've personally seen him do some INSANE sh!t. Not my style but whatever floats your boat. Blue whales are the lowest diving mammal which obviously means they have the most hydrodynamicly designed bottom????? haaa ha! Don't try this at home the Caveman is way too advanced for your juvenile brain to understand. Just drop about $20mill and he will set you up from there. With some blue whale fabric I might add.

The little thing is a no finned multi directional stand up surfboard or boogie, whatever you prefer. I wanted to snowboard on waves. This is my first attempt at it. I have rode it some and waves at my house have not permitted it for awhile. Waiting for the south and good conditions.