Twinzer feedback

zilamonster

Oct 27, 2020
Santa Monica
Took out my 7'6" twinzer egg for the first time this weekend in 2-3ft crumbly beach break. I would agree with what others have said about more hold than a twin but looser than a quad. Lots of speed. Could be my new favorite board.

Curious about what effect moving the canards fore or aft has on the overall feel of the board. Anyone have input?

I'm assuming that sliding the canards forward would make for more hold and longer turn radius vs moving closer to the rear makes for a looser feel with sharper turns.

Reactions: DJR

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Took out my 7'6" twinzer egg for the first time this weekend in 2-3ft crumbly beach break. I would agree with what others have said about more hold than a twin but looser than a quad. Lots of speed. Could be my new favorite board.

Curious about what effect moving the canards fore or aft has on the overall feel of the board. Anyone have input?

I'm assuming that sliding the canards forward would make for more hold and longer turn radius vs moving closer to the rear makes for a looser feel with sharper turns.
Down the rabbit hole we go. In order for the canards to do what they are designed to do, they need to be in correct location. The whole cluster needs to move forward. On gun style boards moving it forward helps. I’m talking only an inch at most. Wil liked his placement at 8.5inchs. Shorter boards move them back to 7inchs. There’s a small sweet spot.
Tha canards need to need to be close to the mains, not too close not too far. Then there’s the gap that need to be adjusted, not the overlap. Wil had a formula for the placement that I’ve been trying to get for three years and still working on that. The rocker is also the part that gets forgotten. Think of it as a Pringle’s chip, foot would be on end of chips. That’s the simplest wat to describe it. If the design is off you basically have a twin fin.
If you have FCS fins this is easy to feel. Move fins back or forward , you’ll feel the difference right away.
Hopefully this helps. I love the design and will continue to figure it fully out.

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
What do you think about the twinzer pins for a beach break barrel hunter. Slide in early, get up to speed quickly, and have solid control in the steepness? Or is it a lot looser compared to say a gunny single fin?

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Perfect board for those conditions. No anchor ie center fin. With the fins you can push on them unlike a single fin. If I was surfing big waves like double over head I would probably take the Twinzer out still. The gunny single fins are great as well and would still have one. Just a different feel, twinzer will allow a higher line on wave. Single will be predictable which is a good thing.
Sometimes there’s nothing better then a smooth single fin.
In short you need both. Problem solved.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
What do you think about the twinzer pins for a beach break barrel hunter. Slide in early, get up to speed quickly, and have solid control in the steepness? Or is it a lot looser compared to say a gunny single fin?
Came across an older (maybe 2018) SurfPlendor podcast interview with Richard Schmidt. Apparently predominantly all he’s ridden for over 2 decades are twinzers. Really good interview by the way …. seemed relevant as he rides heavy shit man

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Came across an older (maybe 2018) SurfPlendor podcast interview with Richard Schmidt. Apparently predominantly all he’s ridden for over 2 decades are twinzers. Really good interview by the way …. seemed relevant as he rides heavy shit man

He rides one shaped by Joey Thomas.

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
This kids been charging on a twinzer. Wave looks plenty big.

Attachments

• 7A005D0A-71CE-49F4-A344-FB65038CBC6C.png
    7A005D0A-71CE-49F4-A344-FB65038CBC6C.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 33