Twinzer Design/Experiment.

hankster

Nov 12, 2013
San Francisco
Is there a certain bottom that must be incorporated, one to be avoided, or a pretty good gray area from what youve seen/ridden/learned?
I wish I were more qualified to answer. The bottom on Wil's boards are remarkably flat. I've seen some Stu Kenson Twinzer eggs that incorporate channel bottoms. I'd really like to try one of those.

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
I'm curious about fin foil, fronts and mains. Symmetrical or flat on inside surfaces? Is there something extraordinary about this fin set up? Aren't the front (canards, or leading edge extensions) primarily serving to improve water flow over the larger main fins?

And what about tail rocker?

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Mains and canards are flat. I’ve never seen inside foil, heard rumors of Wil using them.

I’ve got fins unlimited who used the dynamic balance template Wils label and some from Rainbow. The Board that Wil shaped has the fins I’ve seen I pictures upright.

Bottom Rainbow fins are from a Jobson yellow J
Top left are from Vernor. Looks to be what Joey Thompson uses.
Second set is what Rainbow is selling
Far right are what Fins Unlimited says is the Dynamic Balance template

As you move the mains back you need to decrease the canards to help loosen the board up.

The canards job is to pressurize the outside of the main so it won’t stall at high angles of attack (sharp turn). With too much overlap this is missed.

Attachments

• DEBFFD7F-867F-4470-B574-6B459AA61615.jpeg
    DEBFFD7F-867F-4470-B574-6B459AA61615.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
The canards that come with Mabiles are canted such that when you put them together at the bases, they flare out instead of laying flat. Not sure how many degrees. I will say that Stu Kenson designs them both ways as a friend of mine got some some for a Mitsven long fish he ordered with a twinzer set up and the canards were flat. He reordered from Bob and got the ones that were canted Bob would get the fins from Stu.

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
The canards that come with Mabiles are canted such that when you put them together at the bases, they flare out instead of laying flat. Not sure how many degrees. I will say that Stu Kenson designs them both ways as a friend of mine got some some for a Mitsven long fish he ordered with a twinzer set up and the canards were flat. He reordered from Bob and got the ones that were canted Bob would get the fins from Stu.
My Mabile's are at 5 and 8 degrees it looks like based on my gauge.

Brigham03

Nov 24, 2020
RI
I've got a 7'0" Larmo twinzer that absolutely flies. I'm not a great surfer (getting better) but I often get comments from guys in the water about how fast the board is. It just locks into the wave. I love it. Am tempted to get another from him as mine is approaching beater stage. Anyone have a good set of canards they recommend with Larmo's setup? The set I have on the tips of the canards overlap the plane of the front edge of the mains and I wonder if a more vertical and or smaller canard would loosen the feel up just a little bit? Or maybe that overlap is desireable, I've seen smaller canards on other Twinzers which is why I ask
Great thread here, thanks!

John

Mar 4, 2004
Rehoboth Beach, DE
I've got a 7'0" Larmo twinzer that absolutely flies. I'm not a great surfer (getting better) but I often get comments from guys in the water about how fast the board is. It just locks into the wave. I love it. Am tempted to get another from him as mine is approaching beater stage. Anyone have a good set of canards they recommend with Larmo's setup? The set I have on the tips of the canards overlap the plane of the front edge of the mains and I wonder if a more vertical and or smaller canard would loosen the feel up just a little bit? Or maybe that overlap is desireable, I've seen smaller canards on other Twinzers which is why I ask
Great thread here, thanks!
Nice!! What shape is your twinzer?